I've noticed some hotspots are protected on the radio link via WEP/WPA and some leave the radio link open (ie: no WEP/WPA) but rather have everyone who attaches re-directed to a webpage where you have to log in to the network inorder to be able to use the hotspot.

I have 2 questions:

1) What is it called when you have to log in via a web page? is that called "Web-redirection based authentication" and SSL? (I'm trying to research it but don't know what the correct name is )And I suppose you need a special router for that? I suppose I can't do that with my low-end Linksys router?

2) Which method is more secure? Webpage login, or WPA login? What do most public hotspots (airports, hotels, etc) employ? I think the webpage re-direct?