Install VMware Backtrack5
From BackTrack Linux
Revision as of 19:24, 28 February 2012 by Sickness
Installing VMware in BackTrack5 R2
NOTE: The same steps cover the installation of VMware Workstation and also VMware Player!
- First we need to go to the official site and download VMware Workstation / Player.
- We CHMOD the file in order to make it executable than launch the installer:
root@bt:~/Desktop# chmod +x VMware-Workstation-Full-8.0.2-591240.i386.bundle root@bt:~/Desktop# ./VMware-Workstation-Full-8.0.2-591240.i386.bundle
- Right now we should be presented with the installation screen, if you encounter any issues in launching the installer verify that you have downloaded the correct package regarding architecture and MD5sum.
- From here on we can go with the default options selected by the installer. Do not change anything unless you know what you are doing!
- Once the installation is finished, when we try to run VMware we should receive an error.
- Taking a look at the log file we should see at the last line that the vmnet module can not be loaded.
root@bt:~/Desktop# tail /tmp/vmware-root/modconfig-12072.log 2012-02-28T23:52:42.262+02:00| vthread-3| I120: Failed to compile module vmnet!
- Cancel the VMware launcher.
- Now we need to download the vmnet patch extract and run it.
root@bt:~# wget http://weltall.heliohost.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/vmware802fixlinux320.tar.gz root@bt:~# tar xvfz vmware802fixlinux320.tar.gz root@bt:~# chmod +x patch-modules_3.2.0.sh root@bt:~# ./patch-modules_3.2.0.sh
- If the patch has been applied successfully you should see something similar to the following.
- After the patch is finished we can run our VMware product.
- Now you can enjoy using your VMware product!