Thread: Intel Core 2 Duo 64-bit support in BT3

Just burned his ISO

Default Intel Core 2 Duo 64-bit support in BT3

Okay, I've searched the wiki and the forums. Thanks to a nifty command from Xploitz, I now know that BT is utilizing both of my cores, and it's reading all my memory correctly. I also saw how other people inquired about AMD 64 bit support and got ambiguous answers leaning towards yes.

I haven't found any references towards intel 64-bit support. Does BT3 currently support it? If not, is there a way for me to include it by *cringe* recompiling my kernel?

Before anyone asks, no, I'm not really aware of all the "benefits" of 64-bit computing versus 32-bit. I know I can address more memory, and supposedly programs written for it will run faster. I'm more interested in experimenting to see what the performance difference is as well as what types of programs would be affected by the transition. That, and if I paid for a 64-bit chip, I'd kind of like to see what the fuss is all about.

I've been told that 64-bit windows is a mess, and I'm willing to believe that at face value. I'd think linux can do better.

Intel 64bit is amibiguous, you could mean the standard Core 2 and maybe some Pentium 4/Pentium D which has em64t and those support 64 bit linux. Or you mean Intel 64bit as in Itanium which is completely different breed compared to the rest of the Intel brands and they are known as ia64 with package naming conventions.

Why are there any needs to recompile such things into 64bit? If it works with 32bit then leave it be. There are a fair few programs that can take advantage of 64bit but there are no absolute necessity to make 32bit programs work 64bit.

Furthermore, there are drivers which are not compatible with either smp and/or 64bit, specific atheros chipsets for example with madwifi will not work. I personally do not see there is any need to rush unless you are expecting for headaches with trying to keep everything to bleeding edge.