Thread: backtrack "reboots" every 20 minutes

Just burned his ISO

Default backtrack "reboots" every 20 minutes

Hi there,
    I have got a question, probably a newbie one. I am new to linux and stuff so it may be something absoltely basic, but I just can't solve it myself. Now, the thing is:

I am right now trying to hack into a WEP secured WLAN using airoscript. This works fine, and my question is not about that at all, but when I start collecting data, which works fine, my Laptop reboots after approximately 20 minutes for no obvious reason. When I say reboot I don't actually mean reboot, but more that I can't click or write anything for 5 seconds and then the "validating"-screen with the fingerprint shows up again, and after a few seconds I am back to backtrack, but all the programmes that were open are gone.

I first thought it had something to do with power management, but now matter if I run backtrack from battery or from an external powersource (the powerplug ;-) )it always happens. Also I thought it may have something to do with the heat or something, but as something like this has never occured using windows I really don't think it is this either.

I would be very thankful for any advice XD

I use the lates backtrrack distribution and I own a vaio VGN-TX1XP.

Is it getting very hot ?

Are you running from livecd? Maybe you're dumping IV's etc (from your wep cracking) and running out of memory, causing X to crash?

Just an "off the top of my head" thought while drinking my morning coffee

Just burned his ISO

well, it's not getting hot but definitely quite worm, but it usually does that. I use a live CD and my laptop has very limited ram for it is a 12'' subnotebook ;-) (512MB if I am not mistaken). So do you reckon if I installed backtrack properly I might not have this problem anymore for I have got enough memory then?

If you're running from livecd aircrack will be dumping to a file in memory, and you will eventually run out of memory..........it's just a thought.

Try running your laptop for a while *without* running any programs which may be constantly writing data. Just browse around for a while, etc, then see if it *still* keeps restarting X.

If it runs OK when simply browsing around, then it's probably an issue with the data dumping (from aircrack, etc) using up your memory.

If it does still restart X constantly, them perhaps it could be an acpi/power issue.
    In that case, try booting with some "cheat" switches for no apci, no apic, etc.
    I think you'll find some listed on the wiki.