Thread: Trying to get into Infosec

Just burned his ISO

Default Trying to get into Infosec

Hello all.

I am a recent college graduate with an undergrad in MIS and an MBA graduate degree. I've been fascinated by security since I got wind of Backtrack, back when version 2 was in beta. I currently have no specialization backed up with a few years of experience, which is killing my job search. I have a decent understanding of networking, though I have no certifications to back that up. The same goes for computer hardware and linux. I'm probably 3/4ths the way to an entry-level cert in all of those.

All of that said, what is the best path into an infosec job? Should I try to get networking certs and a network admin job for a few years and then transition over or should I try to go straight for infosec certs and try to get in directly? For whichever path I take, what certifications should I get and in what order? (I'm itching to take backtrack 101 and later, backtrack to the max.)

Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by evilmaus View Post
    Hello all.

I am a recent college graduate with an undergrad in MIS and an MBA graduate degree. I've been fascinated by security since I got wind of Backtrack, back when version 2 was in beta. I currently have no specialization backed up with a few years of experience, which is killing my job search. I have a decent understanding of networking, though I have no certifications to back that up. The same goes for computer hardware and linux. I'm probably 3/4ths the way to an entry-level cert in all of those.

All of that said, what is the best path into an infosec job? Should I try to get networking certs and a network admin job for a few years and then transition over or should I try to go straight for infosec certs and try to get in directly? For whichever path I take, what certifications should I get and in what order? (I'm itching to take backtrack 101 and later, backtrack to the max.)

Thank you very much!
    I know this is going to sound retarded BUT do your Network+ and then Security+. It's a start.

Just burned his ISO

Not retarded at all. I have no certifications and I don't know the first thing about them. I just know that I liked playing around with my computer and learning what I can. I'll register for those two and a couple of others, as soon as I manage to get into the pearsonvue website, then go for Backtrack 101. As for jobs, do I need a few years of network experience before jumping over? And, what are the ultimate security-related certs that I should be building toward?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by evilmaus View Post
    Not retarded at all. I have no certifications and I don't know the first thing about them. I just know that I liked playing around with my computer and learning what I can. I'll register for those two and a couple of others, as soon as I manage to get into the pearsonvue website, then go for Backtrack 101. As for jobs, do I need a few years of network experience before jumping over? And, what are the ultimate security-related certs that I should be building toward?

Thank you.
    I would say yes some networking background will help, understanding how the OSI model works and how the protocols work is a must in my opinion. The two high-end certifications I hear about are the offensive security and Cisco CISSP. You say you have a decent knowledge of networking, you can probably test Network+ without studying, it's basic stuff.
    I have indirectly been told to play nice...yay.

I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.