Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Which Skype update do i use?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    12

    Default Which Skype update do i use?

    Hi All!

    Newbie question here. I want to update Skype on my BT3 installation. Which version do i need? Skype.com has versions for Ubuntu, Debian, Xandros, Fedora, OpenSuse, Madriva, Centos and then something called Dynamic, Statis and Statis OSS.

    Which one do i install on BT3?

    EDIT: Same for Pidgin and all other software...

    Thanks,

    Joop.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoopKnoop View Post
    Hi All!

    Newbie question here. I want to update Skype on my BT3 installation. Which version do i need? Skype.com has versions for Ubuntu, Debian, Xandros, Fedora, OpenSuse, Madriva, Centos and then something called Dynamic, Statis and Statis OSS.

    Which one do i install on BT3?

    EDIT: Same for Pidgin and all other software...

    Thanks,

    Joop.
    bt ~ # slapt-get --update
    bt ~ # slapt-get -i skype

    If you get an error regarding unmet dependencies. Install those first.

    Alternatively you can try converting an RPM package to a slackware TGZ package using the rpm2tgz command.
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]hehe...
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

  3. #3
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .lonewolf View Post
    bt ~ # slapt-get update
    bt ~ # slapt-get -i skype

    If you get an error regarding unmet dependencies. Install those first.

    Alternatively you can try converting an RPM package to a slackware TGZ package using the rpm2tgz command.
    Code:
    slapt-get update
    must be
    Code:
    slapt-get --update
    Code:
    slapt-get -i skype
    gives me:
    Reading Package Lists... /var/log/packages: No such file or directlry
    Done
    No such package: skype
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

    Done.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoopKnoop View Post
    Code:
    slapt-get update
    must be
    Code:
    slapt-get --update
    Code:
    slapt-get -i skype
    gives me:
    Reading Package Lists... /var/log/packages: No such file or directlry
    Done
    No such package: skype
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

    Done.
    Yes thanks... you're quite right. I've corrected the error.

    Edit your /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc file to use these sources

    WORKINGDIR=/var/slapt-get
    EXCLUDE=^kernel-.*,^alsa-.*,^glibc.*,.*-[0-9]+dl$,^devs$,^udev$,aaa_elflibs,x86$
    SOURCE=http://darkstar.ist.utl.pt/slackware/slackware-12.0/
    SOURCE=http://software.jaos.org/slackpacks/12.0/
    SOURCE=http://darkstar.ist.utl.pt/slackware/addon/slacky/slackware-12.0/
    SOURCE=ftp://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/slackware/slackware-12.0/
    #DISABLED=ftp://carroll.cac.psu.edu/pub/linux/distributions/slackware/slackware$
    Then run slapt-get --update again.
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]hehe...
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

  5. #5
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .lonewolf View Post
    Yes thanks... you're quite right. I've corrected the error.

    Edit your /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc file to use these sources



    Then run slapt-get --update again.
    Ok, slapt-get --update works, still no /var/log/packages, alsa-lib is needed for skype and is excluded on the source list.

    Next step?

    Joop.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoopKnoop View Post
    Ok, slapt-get --update works, still no /var/log/packages, alsa-lib is needed for skype and is excluded on the source list.

    Next step?

    Joop.
    Here's slackware packages for skype and alsa-lib that you can download.
    http://www.linuxpackages.net/search_...skype&ver=12.0
    http://www.linuxpackages.net/search_...a-lib&ver=12.0
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]hehe...
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •