Thread: Kubuntu AND Backtrack 3 - Anything I need to be aware of as a complete LINUX newbie?

Just burned his ISO

Default Kubuntu AND Backtrack 3 - Anything I need to be aware of as a complete LINUX newbie?

I plan on learning Linux by using these two distro's....Backtrack 3 via USB (it's just so cool to have it that portable...) and Kubuntu probably through installation on a notebook (mac book pro most likely, not sure yet if I'm going with a fusion/vmware sort of install when possible, or just a bootcamp sort of setup)

I guess I'm asking if I need to be aware of any major differences between these two at a more fundamental level to help prevent some headaches later on...

...I hope my question makes sense! Thanks to the powers that be for this community, it's awesome to have a forum to seek advice/help and there is a nice forum for Ubuntu related questions too...so hopefully someday I can return the favor everywhere!

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cleverest View Post
    I guess I'm asking if I need to be aware of any major differences between these two at a more fundamental level to help prevent some headaches later on...
    Yes there are a ton of differences between the two distros for one ubuntu is an easy to use gui oriented linux distro for every day use. Backtrack is a pentesting distro based off of slax which is based off of slackware.
    It is designed to be used off of a usb stick or cd/dvd .
    Having said that there are tons of other differences between the two but that is the fundamentals of it.
    If you are planning on using BT then I would suggest you do some heavy reading here on the forums. There is a ton of info to get you started in not only BT but linux as well.
    Have a look at some of the "sticky" threads in the newbie section and also have a look through the tutorials and guides section as well.

As for your mac book install there are a few threads on that in the tuts section of the forum
    Also a good way to navigate around here is to use the search function at the top of every page here.
    Good luck
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

thanks for the reply, appreciate the pointers....

I guess I'm just primarily worried about learning all the command line methods of accessing/protecting/scanning networks in BT, and then being at a complete loss when none of the stuff works in Kubuntu...

Is it way different in that regard due to one being slackware based, the other Debian based? If it's easy to learn both at that level, which one should I start with for the sake of newbie ease? Does it matter ultimately?

Thanks again for the help.

- Brett

I find Backtrack easier and better if that makes a difference but then again I played with other distros for a while before discovering Backtrack.

Only since using Backtrack (Slackware) have I really become inspired to learn Linux properly.
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]hehe...
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cleverest View Post
    thanks for the reply, appreciate the pointers....
    no problem.

I guess I'm just primarily worried about learning all the command line methods of accessing/protecting/scanning networks in BT, and then being at a complete loss when none of the stuff works in Kubuntu...
    for linux in general command line should be mostly the same however there are some caveats to this.

Is it way different in that regard due to one being slackware based, the other Debian based? If it's easy to learn both at that level, which one should I start with for the sake of newbie ease? Does it matter ultimately?
    Thanks again for the help.
    - Brett
    To put it simply if you want to learn the basics of setting up and running a *nix box then go with ubuntu or something easier like it.
    If you want to learn how to pentest then you probably want to stick with BT now as for some people they will tell you to leave BT alone until you are a guru or master (or whatever the word is today) in *nix. Then you can come back to BT. However I will tell you this if you decided to use BT and you need help it may be hard to find it here if you have no ideas about running a *nix box etc. I will just say that using BT is not a beginner distro nor is it necessarily easy to work with when maybe compared to windows, or ubuntu or whatever. So having said that it is up to the individual what they want to use/learn. Just be prepared to do alot of work.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.