Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Triple Booting BT3, OSX Leopard, and vista help!

Quote Originally Posted by kiaos View Post
    Well im not entirely sure how to fix it. But I do Know that the only way Backtrack works for me is when I boot it in VESA mode, and I have an nivda chip too.
    Must be an older nvidia card, like mine. The closed drivers don't do too well with the older hardware. I have a newer hp laptop with a nvidia card in it and compiz works with it. My older box though, need vesa to work properly.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Default Can anyone else help me

I have no idea how to get my hard drive BT3 to work under VESA if anyone could help me that would be awesome.
    Smite me almighty smiter!!!
    It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum and im all outa gum!

I have no idea how to get my hard drive BT3 to work under VESA if anyone could help me that would be awesome.
    The /etc/X11/xorg.conf file determines whether to use vesa or not. You can try editing that.

Try xconf instead of startx just after you login, and see if that helps.

Otherwise look here for an answer ==> http://www.google.co.za/search?hl=en...G=Search&meta=

Also see if there's a Boot Cheat Code that may help you ==> http://backtrack.offensive-security....dex.php/Cheats
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]hehe...
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Default I cant login

Dude I cant even log in to BT3 from my hard drive or from standard boot. Basically there is no way for me to enter commands at any part of the boot.
    Oh and i like the fact that in VESA I dont have to login or type startx it does it for me.
    I have to change the way Backtrack boots so it will do it automatically and I think im going to have to mod files.
    Oh and while im asking is it possible to make it so i don't have to press my power button to continue the bt3 boot process.

Yeah, I'm not sure. This seems like a problem that requires some advanced searching via Google.

Try narrowing down your searches using quotes and various keyword combinations. I'm sure you'll come up with something.

Well there's still some hope over here as there's some geniuses online right now.

Good Luck
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]hehe...
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

Dude I cant even log in to BT3 from my hard drive or from standard boot. Basically there is no way for me to enter commands at any part of the boot.
    Oh and i like the fact that in VESA I dont have to login or type startx it does it for me.
    I have to change the way Backtrack boots so it will do it automatically and I think im going to have to mod files.
    Oh and while im asking is it possible to make it so i don't have to press my power button to continue the bt3 boot process.
    Have you tried booting to the livecd/usb and mounting your linux partition to change your grub or lilo boot configurations?

Default I can boot with the live cd

I can boot with the live cd, but I cant get my ex hd to boot right cause that type of usb doesnt boot. my terabyte boots though but im not going to partion it ever cause im not risking losing my data. I dont know what mounting is and i can change my Grub main.lst. (i boot with bt3 live cd under vesa to c hange this file) but, i dont know how to change it so it will boot BT3 in vesa.

Oh and googles an no go and im an expert at using it.

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

I can boot with the live cd, but I cant get my ex hd to boot right cause that type of usb doesnt boot. my terabyte boots though but im not going to partion it ever cause im not risking losing my data. I dont know what mounting is and i can change my Grub main.lst. (i boot with bt3 live cd under vesa to c hange this file) but, i dont know how to change it so it will boot BT3 in vesa.
    Look into it then. Mounting your drive had nothing to do with booting it.

BT3 doesn't use grub it uses lilo. Maybe you should try its default before you get into changing your boot loader.

Quote Originally Posted by kiaos
    Oh and googles an no go and im an expert at using it.
    Huh?

I personally think this whole thing is way above your head. It sound's like you have very limited knowledge into linux, therefore BT probably isn't for you.
    From what I've gathered so far you haven't even accomplished a dual boot with vista and BT.

Default Um your wrong i do have the boot set up with three os's.

Um hehe read what ive typed dude. I have a triple boot system setup already. and BT3 doesn't work the way id like it to, thats the only problem.
    Grub loads has three options
    1. windows boot loader (takes me to windows boot options and i can load vista fine)
    2. unbuntu (works no problem)
    3. Back|Track 3 (Boots up fine but gives me the blinking cursor screen of death, and thats my only problem.)

oh and i do know how to use BT3 im using it right now to backup my friends windows xp professional drive so i can format his hard drive and set up an XP and vista boot.

Developer

Um hehe read what ive typed dude. I have a triple boot system setup already. and BT3 doesn't work the way id like it to, thats the only problem.
    Grub loads has three options
    1. windows boot loader (takes me to windows boot options and i can load vista fine)
    2. unbuntu (works no problem)
    3. Back|Track 3 (Boots up fine but gives me the blinking cursor screen of death, and thats my only problem.)
    If you pastebin you grub.conf I will take a look but it sounds to me like you installed bt incorrectly. I triple boot vista/gentoo/bt3 on one of my machines and it works fine with grub.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast