Thread: Pycurl : libcurl link-time version is older than compile-time version

Good friend of the forums williamc's Avatar

Default Pycurl : libcurl link-time version is older than compile-time version

I'm having some problems with the libcurl library. I have a tool that I'm trying to install that required pycurl. I compiled it and then went to run my tool. I got this error:
    Code:
     Fatal Python error: pycurl: libcurl link-time version is older than compile-time version
    Aborted
    Looking through the code, I saw this:
    Code:
    if (vi->version_num < LIBCURL_VERSION_NUM) {
            Py_FatalError("pycurl: FATAL: libcurl link-time version is older than compile-time version");
    I figured I'd update my libcurl. This had no effect. I seached on google and found a post in polish, that best translated, told me to uninstall libcurl completely, then install the new version to remove the error:
    Code:
    rpm -qa |grep libcurl*
    rpm -e --nodeps libcurl-7.16.4-16
    However, backtrack doesnt deal in RPM packages, and I don't know any other method to remove libcurl and update. Any ideas?

William

Update -

I got the tool working, but I'm not convinced I actually fixed the problem. I had to edit my /etc/ld.so.conf file and remove the reference to /usr/lib. Then run ldconfig.
    Apparently, the updated curl installed to /usr/local/lib and the application was seeing a version conflict by looking in the /usr/lib directory.

I've got a pretty cool tutorial to show, but I dont want to post it until I figure out a better solution. I'm assuming I'll have to put the removed entry back in so other applications continue to run. Anyone have some ideas? Thanks.

William

Developer

Williamc removing /usr/lib from ld.so.conf is going to cause you a boatload of problems down the road.

Best thing to do is rm whatever is related to libcurl in /usr/lib and then create a sym link from /usr/local/lib to /usr/lib like this

bt~#ln -s /usr/local/lib/libcurl /usr/lib/libcurl

Or whatever the name is....

Then run ldconfig again

Ahh, thank you sir!
    So everything is working! I'm going to familiarize myself with these tools a little more and get a tutorial put together.

William