Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BT3 Sandisk USB Boot Problem solved YET?

Just burned his ISO

Question BT3 Sandisk USB Boot Problem solved YET?

Okay I've searched and searched, reinstalled, copied dirs over, ran .bats, .sh's. I've done EVERYTHING one can search for to fixing this problem with my BT3 USB booting problem. As we speak I'm sitting here looking at BT3 running from my USB stick, BUT I had to do some extra commands to get it to work.

About mid-way through the loading process it get some error saying: Nonsupported bootable device (scsi or pcmcia dev) BT3 data dir not found, load BT3 on a HD... which defeats the purpose of using USB!

So then I type "linuxrc" wait a bit, it loads and then another prompt comes up and I type "exit" TADA BT3 loads and works. WHY IS THIS? I've looked and seen others with the same problem, with NO solid solution nor answer to why this is happening and what to do about it. I do NOT want to start another drawn out, 10 page thread about this. So if someone HAS AN ANSWER, please post it so you can save myself and numerous others hours of cyclic searches and flames for asking agian and again...

Thanks.

No I don't have an answer. But just wondering if it can be the U3 stuff that comes on your drive. Sandisk somehow sets it up so that the partition holding the U3 garbage is recognized as a CD drive. Don't know if this is what causes your issue, but maybe. You can remove that stuff with an unistaller. Google for U3 uninstaller and it'll show up. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by v12v12 View Post
    Okay I've searched and searched, reinstalled, copied dirs over, ran .bats, .sh's. I've done EVERYTHING one can search for to fixing this problem with my BT3 USB booting problem. As we speak I'm sitting here looking at BT3 running from my USB stick, BUT I had to do some extra commands to get it to work.

About mid-way through the loading process it get some error saying: Nonsupported bootable device (scsi or pcmcia dev) BT3 data dir not found, load BT3 on a HD... which defeats the purpose of using USB!

So then I type "linuxrc" wait a bit, it loads and then another prompt comes up and I type "exit" TADA BT3 loads and works. WHY IS THIS? I've looked and seen others with the same problem, with NO solid solution nor answer to why this is happening and what to do about it. I do NOT want to start another drawn out, 10 page thread about this. So if someone HAS AN ANSWER, please post it so you can save myself and numerous others hours of cyclic searches and flames for asking agian and again...

Thanks.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by abitaz View Post
    No I don't have an answer. But just wondering if it can be the U3 stuff that comes on your drive. Sandisk somehow sets it up so that the partition holding the U3 garbage is recognized as a CD drive. Don't know if this is what causes your issue, but maybe. You can remove that stuff with an unistaller. Google for U3 uninstaller and it'll show up. Hope this helps.
    Yes I've long removed that with the installer... I don't have another spare (diff brand) stick(s) to test on. I HOPE that is the problem, b/c I've follow every instruction by the book/page/referral/advice/forum etc. This is driving me nuts, and it makes me even more upset that nobody in this huge community addresses the issue. I HAVE gotten it to work with this stick, with those commands, so there is something wrong, and I'm (naively) doubting it's the hardware... WHY ELSE would the commands work if the hardware was faulty some how? I've tried this on 2 other sandisks and a corsair with the solution working, but eventually it doesn't, least maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I've followed the same steps as when it was working, it's not THAT difficult to run a .bat and copy a few dirs over. I'm a nix-noob, but geesh.

I'd try to help you out, but the only sandisk usb drive I have I don't want to make non-u3. You said it worked before and now it doesn't?
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

I have 2 different sandisks one is a 2 gig and one is a 4gig they both boot fine and they also still have the U3 crap on there..... I have had no issues.... I followed the BT3 on a usb stick... sorry to not be any help just thought I would offer the info on the 2 different ones here.

Just burned his ISO

I have exact same error. its been driving me crazy. that error is the same that I got. I 've been trying a REAL install using the backtrack installer, to a 4 gig sony (larger than 4 gig has other unresolved problems, does not like large partitions for some reason). You are as far as I got.

Are you formatting the drive with FAT or ext2 or ext3? I am using ext3.

Did you copy to a folder the BT3 directory. You may want to try copying it to the root.

Where I am at:

The backtrack intaller program is /usr/share/slax/bt3.kmdr. I am going to rip it apart and run commands manually, against a hard drive and usb stick, and look for problems.

May try running install from a HD REAL install, which I have no problems getting to work. If I had to copy some folders over then they would be real as opposed to live.

Plan to work on this through weekend, if no luck, I will wait for someone else to do it.

Almost forgot, try booting from the USB that gives the BT3 data directory error, with a BT3 cd in your drive, it will find BT3 there, not what is desired, but maybe it will get you closer.

Z

Quote Originally Posted by zatoichi View Post
    I have exact same error. its been driving me crazy. that error is the same that I got. I 've been trying a REAL install using the backtrack installer, to a 4 gig sony (larger than 4 gig has other unresolved problems, does not like large partitions for some reason). You are as far as I got.

Are you formatting the drive with FAT or ext2 or ext3? I am using ext3.

Did you copy to a folder the BT3 directory. You may want to try copying it to the root.

Where I am at:

The backtrack intaller program is /usr/share/slax/bt3.kmdr. I am going to rip it apart and run commands manually, against a hard drive and usb stick, and look for problems.

May try running install from a HD REAL install, which I have no problems getting to work. If I had to copy some folders over then they would be real as opposed to live.

Plan to work on this through weekend, if no luck, I will wait for someone else to do it.

Almost forgot, try booting from the USB that gives the BT3 data directory error, with a BT3 cd in your drive, it will find BT3 there, not what is desired, but maybe it will get you closer.

Z
    The partition that the boot and bt directories are in needs to be fat. Your changes partition needs to be ext2, pretty sure ext3 also works, but not real sure.

This is how I have two different computers drives set up and one lexar usb drive set up. They all boot.

Here's what the Box looks like.

bt ~ # fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 249 2000061 b W95 FAT32
    /dev/sda2 30036 30401 2939895 5 Extended
    /dev/sda3 250 30035 239256045 83 Linux
    /dev/sda5 30036 30401 2939863+ 82 Linux swap

Partition table entries are not in disk order

Disk /dev/sdb: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sdb1 1 30401 244196001 83 Linux
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Developer

Barry you are right of course but what this guy is trying to do is create a "real" install (the whole 2700mb) on a usb stick and make it bootable. He is persistent so I have to give him credit. I have been trying to help him along even though both muts and I tried to do a real install on sdhc for the eeepc and neither one of us could get it going. Well I couldn't and as far as I know he couldn't either. SO he is correct he needs a linux file system on his usb. This was possible with bt2 but is no longer possible with bt3 unless someone knows something I do not.

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    Barry you are right of course but what this guy is trying to do is create a "real" install (the whole 2700mb) on a usb stick and make it bootable. He is persistent so I have to give him credit. I have been trying to help him along even though both muts and I tried to do a real install on sdhc for the eeepc and neither one of us could get it going. Well I couldn't and as far as I know he couldn't either. SO he is correct he needs a linux file system on his usb. This was possible with bt2 but is no longer possible with bt3 unless someone knows something I do not.
    Ahh, missed that part. My bad. Brain is slightly fried from getting slapt-get to work, a goofy xorg problem on the Box, and a job interview this morning. Why can't bt3 have a "normal" xorf.cfg?

any progress towards a real install on sdhc for eeepc? ive tried a few times... no luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast