Thread: New to Back Track...and Linux in general...help appreciated

Just burned his ISO

Default New to Back Track...and Linux in general...help appreciated

Totally new to this Distro and in fact Linux in general....really want to dive into this and learn it though....I've been a pc tech for over 10 years and I just got Apple certified as a technician, but I've never even touched Linux....I researched many of the Distro's and it seems like Backtrack is the one I really want to learn inside and out....

I know it's gonna take some time cause I'm such a newbie, but I gotta start somewhere...anyone have any tips or references to point out that could help me?

I'm also going to be trying to learn Ubuntu....

Quote Originally Posted by cleverest View Post
    Totally new to this Distro and in fact Linux in general....really want to dive into this and learn it though....I've been a pc tech for over 10 years and I just got Apple certified as a technician, but I've never even touched Linux....I researched many of the Distro's and it seems like Backtrack is the one I really want to learn inside and out....

I know it's gonna take some time cause I'm such a newbie, but I gotta start somewhere...anyone have any tips or references to point out that could help me?

I'm also going to be trying to learn Ubuntu....
    Hi, nice to see you take a step towards linux.

If you haven't already please familiarize yourself with the forum rules because that's people's biggest mistake here.
    They don't RTFM

This is a good starting point in learning *nix .

You should use the command line as much as possible.
    The more you use it, the easier and more exciting Linux will become. Practice makes perfect, as we say.

Also, maybe you should start with Kubuntu instead of Ubuntu. The KDE desktop makes things a bit easier, especially in terms of menu structures etc. Backtrack comes with KDE as default so that's another reason to learn on Kubuntu.

I mess around with several distros and OS's. Backtrack is my ultimate favorite, though.

Remember that this is a Backtrack forum so if you do ask for help with another distro don't be surprised if someone says something.

However there are General IT section, wireless section etc. so take a look and see what kind of questions are asked here.

Most important, don't give up. If you want to learn linux, you're definitely going in the right direction and there's a lot to learn, but the satisfaction and joy you get out is well worth it.

I'll be learning new things till I'm old and stupid.

hope you enjoy your stay.
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]hehe...
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the replay and advise, I'll do my best to follow it.

I'm happy to say I am now posting this from Backtrack 3 Beta 1 from my USB flash drive! Yay, how cool is that. (lol, I'm such a newbie).

I had to choose the VESA 1024x768 mode because trying to load the default KDE choice (#1) resulted in a black screen with cursor that lasts about 2 seconds before flickering the display off and returning the screen...ad infinitum.

Could this be because I have a Geforce 9600 GT and there are no official drivers for the card yet? I'm nowhere near to being able to install a modified driver or anything, so I was just wondering...

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by cleverest View Post
    Thanks for the replay and advise, I'll do my best to follow it.

I'm happy to say I am now posting this from Backtrack 3 Beta 1 from my USB flash drive! Yay, how cool is that. (lol, I'm such a newbie).

I had to choose the VESA 1024x768 mode because trying to load the default KDE choice (#1) resulted in a black screen with cursor that lasts about 2 seconds before flickering the display off and returning the screen...ad infinitum.

Could this be because I have a Geforce 9600 GT and there are no official drivers for the card yet? I'm nowhere near to being able to install a modified driver or anything, so I was just wondering...

Thanks again!
    Ya that card is pretty new and there is no support for it yet but check this out
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjM3OQ

they suggest trying another driver.