Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Live CD Wont Boot, Graphics Issue?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by abseeley View Post
    Yep i tried every mode, the only one i could get to work was the simple just a console mode, aka no GUI, which is very inconvienient for what im using backtrack for
    well as for a pentesting distro most of the tools are done in the command line so all may not be lost.

However if you can get it to boot to a shell environment then you should be able to mess around with the xserver and get it to work.
    at a prompt try
    Code:
    # xorgconfig.con
    now when you do this you can configure the config file however you will have to know some info about your graphics chipset, keyboard, mouse, and your monitor settings info.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Yeah I admit everything i do in BT is in a console, but im usually running 5 or 6 console windows for efficiency, and I could probably cope without the GUI the only problem is almost anything i run will clear off the top of the screen leaving me no idea to the results....any pointers there?

and I could probably cope without the GUI the only problem is almost anything i run will clear off the top of the screen leaving me no idea to the results....any pointers there?
    Not sure I follow you on this one but can you not scroll up?
    There are also log files you could look into but.... I think the better idea would be to try and get your screen configured using the above commands etc.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    Back|Track Wiki

Yeah as in I cant scroll up, i dont get the nice pretty BT console its just like full screen console so there is no scrolling and yeah i think that would be my best bet getting that to work.

I hate making new threads so Ill just throw this here, but would it be possible since I already have ubuntu running on a partition to install the proper wifi card driver, then run the backtrack programs from within ubuntu? I think this would be the easiest way to solve my problem plus I wouldnt have to run from a live cd all the time.

How would I go about this? Would I just copy the apps from the disc or would I have to go track them down? Whats the best method.

I hate making new threads so Ill just throw this here, but would it be possible since I already have ubuntu running on a partition to install the proper wifi card driver, then run the backtrack programs from within ubuntu? I think this would be the easiest way to solve my problem plus I wouldnt have to run from a live cd all the time.

How would I go about this? Would I just copy the apps from the disc or would I have to go track them down? Whats the best method.

It might be best that you start a new thread when you have a new or different problem. Some people will only see the title and might not respond or bother reading if they know that they can offer no help or have no interest in the post.

As for running bt in ubuntu I am not sure but if you want to run some of the tools then yes some of them will work however some of them may not.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    Back|Track Wiki

Just burned his ISO

abseeley, I found a way to load BT3 on my HP, maybe this will help you. Use the no DHCP at first prompt, push tab and then enter. BT3 begins to load, after a few seconds tap the power button. For this work it must be plugged into a power source, the battery alone stops the loading. I have no idea why this works, but it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo12 View Post
    abseeley, I found a way to load BT3 on my HP, maybe this will help you. Use the no DHCP at first prompt, push tab and then enter. BT3 begins to load, after a few seconds tap the power button. For this work it must be plugged into a power source, the battery alone stops the loading. I have no idea why this works, but it does.
    Interesting hack. Some things are difficult to explain, they just work.

How often did this trick work for you?
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]hehe...
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Just burned his ISO

It's worked every time so far. If I unplug the powersource, reboot, no DHCP, then tap the power button, the screen comes back but will freeze the loading process. It stops and says something about the floppy drive, which I don't have. Then the CD drive will eventually shutdown and your dead in the water.

If it's plugged in it will continue to load. Then you can unplug the power supply and everything works. One time it said I only had 2 minutes of battery left, although it was fully charged and continued to work for another 45 before I shut it down.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12