Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Live CD Wont Boot, Graphics Issue?

Default Live CD Wont Boot, Graphics Issue?

Hey everyone I have a burnt live cd of backtrack 2 that I used on my other laptop and booted fine everytime. Gave me a menu I chose the first option, (kde). I just picked up a new HP Pavillion 6714 and I popped in my disc all excited, got to that boot menu and chose the same thing. After watching a console load all the usual stuff after a minute or two, I get a black screen with the 'X' mouse pointer, then it changes to the arrow, then the screen flashes black with some diagonal lines and it starts back at the 'X' and repeats over and over. I had a problem booting ubuntu from a disc until I boot into 'safe graphics mode' then it boot just fine, and after I installed it it ran fine, but said there was no driver for my video card. So im figuring it may be my video card, or a driver issue? Maybe its trying to auto choose a graphics setting but cant seem to find one?

Anyone have this happen before? Any suggestions? Ive already tried the other boot options and none of the graphical ones work. And note that it is a good burn, I use the same disc on another laptop

Hi,well i had the same problem in BT2.Currently i am using BT3.Well while booting you just need to type this

Code:
    bt acpi=off
    hope ,it should work.

When do I type it in though? Like at the boot selector menu, or once the console is flying by or what?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by abseeley View Post
    When do I type it in though? Like at the boot selector menu, or once the console is flying by or what?
    Boot codes or Cheat codes are parameters you can add during boot to syslinux to alter the behavior of Backtrack. Boot codes must start with "bt" (e.g. bt nodhcp) at the boot prompt. Below you can find some of them.
    Source = Backtrack wiki cheat codes
    http://backtrack.offensive-security....dex.php/Cheats
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Hmm ok theres a little more id like to add, when i just try to do the normal kde boot i hear the disc drive spinning up but then it stops and the screen just goes pure black. I tapped my power off button and instantly the screen popped up and console commands started whizzing by. So its getting hung on something and by tapping my power button just once it some how gives it life :?

After doing that and loading some more things i got the problem i told you before, when i hit tab to change the boot command and tack on bt acpi=off at the end the screen does a couple commands i think then just goes black....permanently, i tired my little tap trick and the power just shut off! What gives?

lol which laptop you have btw?

Im using an hp pavillion dv6714ca (ca is country code)

(i know im not supposed to post urls but its kinda needed and not spam)
    hp doesnt really give much info but thats what im working with

Just burned his ISO

I am also using an HP 6704 laptop and have the same problem.

Tapping the power button would occasionally work, well would it would bring the screen back. But usually would hang at floppy drive, although I don't have a floppy. I also get the X, then arrow, then flashing white horizontal lines. This continues to cycle every few seconds.

I finally got to the login screen after numerous attempts, using the "tap the power button, then the CD drive ejected the BT disk and laptop shutdown. I also tried the acpi=off cheat code, but it made no difference in my case. This seems to be related to HP comps.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo12 View Post
    I am also using an HP 6704 laptop and have the same problem.

Tapping the power button would occasionally work, well would it would bring the screen back. But usually would hang at floppy drive, although I don't have a floppy. I also get the X, then arrow, then flashing white horizontal lines. This continues to cycle every few seconds.

I finally got to the login screen after numerous attempts, using the "tap the power button, then the CD drive ejected the BT disk and laptop shutdown. I also tried the acpi=off cheat code, but it made no difference in my case. This seems to be related to HP comps.

Did you try the vesa mode ?

Might wanna give that a shot as well.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Yep i tried every mode, the only one i could get to work was the simple just a console mode, aka no GUI, which is very inconvienient for what im using backtrack for

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast