Thread: Aireplay Broke my Router?!?!? WHY?

Just burned his ISO

Default Aireplay Broke my Router?!?!? WHY?

Yes, on MY router, I was attempting to crack MY wifi: I used aireplay -3, -1, and -0 attacks simultaneously. After the crack, any network traffic ran extremely slowly (if at all) over the course of the next 3 days. I then decided to reset my router. That fixed it, but I'd like to know why this happened. Was it from the sheer number of packets flooding the network? For three whole days?

Edit: more info - My router is a WRT54G

BOSS23

I'd say yes and no. Often times, lower quality routers get jam packed with packets, data, etc and when you tried to hack yours, you basically crammed more than it could handle. I've heard of safety measures on routers these days where it purposely performs less that normal to prevent permanent damage to the routers. Just my 2 cents.

Simply lower your injection rate to avoid crashing some APs.

Quote Originally Posted by seth_slade View Post
    but I'd like to know why this happened. Was it from the sheer number of packets flooding the network? For three whole days?

Edit: more info - My router is a WRT54G
    This isn't really unusual in pen-testing/hacking. You throw more packets, many in non-standard configurations at a device in a way in which the device was never designed to handle and you get problems. The TCP/IP stack could get corrupted, the buffers could overflow, the sockets that were created to handle the packets could be left in an unstable state, all kinds of weird things could (and do) happen...just part the game... luckily you had the ability to reset the device. Think what would happen if this was a remote pen-test and you locked up the customers main web server or gateway! Just remember what you did, don't do it again and learn from the experience.

Just burned his ISO

Hah, these answers lead to more questions (sorry for being a noob):
    So just lowering my injection rate would [possibly] stop this from happening?
    What's a good number of packets per second to limit my injection to with my router (WRT54G)?

aireplay-ng replay options -x 300 my help.

Just burned his ISO

so 300 per second, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by seth_slade View Post
    What's a good number of packets per second to limit my injection to with my router (WRT54G)?
    Trial and error is your friend. Since it was mentioned already, start with 300. If that works...great! If not, back off the rate until you hit the "magic number".

Keep in mind, that "magic number" you find will be a floating number that will change depending on many things such as model of AP, amount of memory, speed of processor and bandwidth utilization. Use the number you find as a reference point, but don't "set it in stone" as "the rate to use all the time".

Good Luck...