Thread: BackTrack On USB Hard Drive/No Dual Boot Help

Just burned his ISO

Exclamation BackTrack On USB Hard Drive/No Dual Boot Help

I don't want to attempt this without some help first. I know enough about partitioning my hard drives (have dual booted Windows XP & Ubuntu on my internal HD) but I have something a little bit different I want setup.

You could say this is kinda like dual booting but not really. What I am wanting to do is install BackTrack 3.0 on my USB Hard Drive in a partition, so when I go into my bios menu I can select the option of booting into my USB Hard Drive and then it would take me into BackTrack 3.0
    But, I do however want to have another partition where I save my movies, videos or games that I download from the net onto another partition on that USB HD and it not mess with the BT partition.

So heres what I have for a better understanding:
    1 Laptop (60gig HD inside)
    1 USB HD(160gig HD external)

Trying to accomplish on the USB HD:
    1 partition: BackTrack 3.0
    2nd partition: Multimedia Files(games, movies, etc)

So when I go into my bios setup menu (by pressing F12) I can select the USB Hard Drive option and then it would boot BackTrack directly from the USB HD.

Can this be done? This I don't think would be consitered a dual boot in my means. And if there is a boot loader, I guess it would be put on the first partition where BT is installed.

Any suggestions or help would be helpful. Like I said, I have the idea of how this all would work, but I also need some help to make sure I don't screw nothing up.

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

This would depend if your machine allows you to boot up from USB drives. You should be able to partition the external drive with the BT partition and then another partition for the other data. I would THINK that this guide would work. I haven't tried it for an external usb drive though, only my jumpdrive.

http://backtrack.offensive-security....rack_USB_stick
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

Just burned his ISO

Will try that out, Thank you.

Developer

To be totally honest I have quite a few usbs of BT3 and not all of them have the save changes partition. If fact i have 2 2 gig ones that are just a bootable FAT32 stick with bt3 on them. After you make it bootable I've found you can still use the rest of the space on the stick on the same partition just like a regular usb.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    To be totally honest I have quite a few usbs of BT3 and not all of them have the save changes partition. If fact i have 2 2 gig ones that are just a bootable FAT32 stick with bt3 on them. After you make it bootable I've found you can still use the rest of the space on the stick on the same partition just like a regular usb.
    ----
    Oh I see. Well I am getting things ready to prepare this little setup. I just hate the whole dual booting and virtualization is not for me (yet) because I don't have a fast enough computer. Well I do but maybe not enough RAM is the problem (using laptop).

Anyway, I'll let you guys know this worked out.

Just burned his ISO

Default No luck setting up boot

I downloaded the USB version of BT3 b/c i wanted to use it on my USB hdd. is it possible? cos i extracted the /boot and /BT dirs to the root of my external and when i tried to run the bootinst.sh script from terminal, i get this message.

Code:
    booboo@booboo-laptop:~$ cd /media/WD\ Passport/boot/
    booboo@booboo-laptop:/media/WD Passport/boot$ ./bootinst.sh
    Can't find device to install to.
    Make sure you run this script from a mounted device.
    booboo@booboo-laptop:/media/WD Passport/boot$
    The device is clearly mounted because i can access it from my /media/ folder. I dont know what the problem is. i dont know what else to do. I dont have windows to try and set up the boot with the .bat file.

Should i just buy a USB Stick and if so, how big cos i dont want to spend alot on something i'll hardly use. I just need it to boot BT3 i guess.

and just curious, what does bootlilo.sh do?

thanks

Default fdisk

i don't know why but for that script to work for me i had to use fdisk on the drive and toogle the bootable flag for the partition, give that a try and i hope it saves you a world of headaches
    open source = open minds, human knowledge belongs to the world

Just burned his ISO

tried that but it never worked. i did get a 2GB flash drive, and i tried to run the script on it under linux and got the same problem. so just outta curiosity, i booted into XP and ran the .bat and that seemed to do the trick. I got a bootable Flash Drive now. As for my external drive, no luck but i've given up on that.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by SneakyBooBoo View Post
    I downloaded the USB version of BT3 b/c i wanted to use it on my USB hdd. is it possible? cos i extracted the /boot and /BT dirs to the root of my external and when i tried to run the bootinst.sh script from terminal, i get this message.

Code:
    booboo@booboo-laptop:~$ cd /media/WD\ Passport/boot/
    booboo@booboo-laptop:/media/WD Passport/boot$ ./bootinst.sh
    Can't find device to install to.
    Make sure you run this script from a mounted device.
    booboo@booboo-laptop:/media/WD Passport/boot$
    The device is clearly mounted because i can access it from my /media/ folder. I dont know what the problem is. i dont know what else to do. I dont have windows to try and set up the boot with the .bat file.

Should i just buy a USB Stick and if so, how big cos i dont want to spend alot on something i'll hardly use. I just need it to boot BT3 i guess.

and just curious, what does bootlilo.sh do?

thanks
    I think you might be using ubuntu and backtrack expects drives to be mounted in /mnt and ubuntu puts them in /media. You need to run the script in windows or from the backtrack live cd. This is how i made my drive bootable.