Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I <3 Gentoo

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    I recently started using gentoo for my main OS and I love it. I highly recommend a stage 3 install of gentoo for any one that wants to learn a whole lot about linux hard and fast. Its so bare bones its smoking fast and I love it.

Screen shot thingy
    Ya I am a big fan of Gentoo as well I have two boxes one is a laptop the other is a server. But what I liked most about Gentoo was their wiki is very well documented and easy to find what you are looking for. I even use there wiki for other distros since a lot of the info is not distro specific. Thanks Re@lity LFS looks sweet I will check it out for sure.

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

Is there anything specific that gentoo offers that slackware doesn't, besides a new interface?

Developer

Thats a matter of opinion of course. I like gentoo because of portage. You can read up on it but basically its gentoo's package manager but you have the use of USE flags which allow you to control how the software is compiled. For example If I'm using KDE for a desktop i can compile it with or with out any gnome support there by effectively trimming down the overall compile and making things faster by eliminating stuff you will never need. I just like it and thought I'd post about it. To me its like a Lamborghini race car. When its on its fast but when its broke it needs major repair. I've also only been messing with it a few weeks so I will have some more opinions later I'm sure. The interface is not new by the way. I just choose the XFCE desktop over KDE and Gnome for its lightweightness. < not sure thats a real word

The USE flags are part of the "gotchas" I mentioned earlier

Sometimes things won't work as expected because of something else you've previously compiled without realising a certain USE flag would be required by something in the future............if that makes sense!?
    It can become a bit of a tangle sometimes.....especially when it's the actual toolchain involved in the tangle!

But it's all the fun of the fair, eh!?

Other than that, regarding the above comment about "what's it got that's different?" the emerge and portage systems are quite interesting aspects of Gentoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Gentoo, the only thing that will give a guy grey hair faster than marriage or kids.
    In that case, I'll have to pass on Gentoo for my hair's sake

I'm in no rush to have to dye my hair and possibly look like this bloke:

dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Quote Originally Posted by swc666 View Post
    In that case, I'll have to pass on Gentoo for my hair's sake

I'm in no rush to have to dye my hair and possibly look like this bloke:
    Don't be embarrassed swc666. That's you without the beard
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]hehe...
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

You'll like gentoo even better after you've used it for a little while. Portage definitely rocks and, as was mentioned, their wiki and documentation is second to none.

I've had it on my desktop as my main OS for over 3 years now. That's the same system. Emerge takes care of all updates. It's usually pretty painless. If you do run into to problems with "emerge world", it's easily fixed by a quick trip to the gentoo forums. Gentoo is extremely fast getting security and software updates into the main tree, btw. There's usually not much of a wait for the "latest and greatest".

Portage is great when trying new software. It automatically installs all dependencies. This has actually helped me get a few things running on Slack I was having problems with.

I dual booted gentoo and slack on my work laptop for a little while. I really didn't notice much difference in speed at all. I pretty much use slack at work, now.

You can actually do a base install of Slackware and then convert it to using portage. I haven't tried it, but it sounds interesting.

You might notice, if you install madwifi-ng, that there is a USE flag for "injection". Now that's user friendly.

As far as the hair issue mentioned, I'm already bald, so I didn't notice. It's really not that bad, and I've installed it on dozens of machines. Older equipment will test your patience for sure.

Have Fun

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

LOL, Nice Swc666. I've heard Gentoo is nice once it's up and running, just getting there is the learning experience. Might not be a bad thing though. You'd learn a lot doing it.
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12