Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I <3 Gentoo

Developer

Default I <3 Gentoo

I recently started using gentoo for my main OS and I love it. I highly recommend a stage 3 install of gentoo for any one that wants to learn a whole lot about linux hard and fast. Its so bare bones its smoking fast and I love it.

Screen shot thingy

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

What does this have to do with Backtrack? Please do not submit posts like this.

Haha Whoa Just Kidding Hate. Put down the bat.
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

--Mod delete---

Sorry, just had to.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

LMFAO!!!! hahaha!!!

Ah whew.

What is it with Gentoo? The first experience I had with it was putting it on an old xbox. I tried it once after that and Just didn't like it at all. What's great about it?
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

Developer

Its so great because you don't even have to do any hacking you just automatically feel ub3r l33t just for getting it installed and usable

Streaker thats no joke! It was piece by piece all right. I started with a little 50 mb disc.

Plus spankdidly this is the GENERAL IT section. Anyway my bat is in the shop getting the dents from n00b a** sanded out.

Gentoo, the only thing that will give a guy grey hair faster than marriage or kids.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

So it's the conquest and satisfaction of getting it up and running? Hm..

You need to get an aluminum bat. No need to sand it out.

A friend of mine has spent the last x weeks compiling and tweaking Gentoo onto an old old laptop.
    The compilations times have been quite staggering sometimes!
    There's also some "gotchas" along the way, too!

Gentoo has some rather esoteric ways of doing things (which, I suppose, isn't that unusual with many Linux distros) but I've seen many report that the effort is well worth it.

Personally I've found that a Slackware install, with custom kernel and self-compiled software has been perhaps a little faster on the machines I've compared to the Gentoo laptop. I wouldn't expect there to be much difference regarding stability either.
    (I know it's not all about speed, but self-compiled sources should give a smoother and quicker experience, generally speaking, imho)

I would also like to throw in here the possibility of going the LFS route.
    I prefer to go that way when taking on a "do it all yourself" approach and it is also a massively educational route to take.
    In my opinion, it has to be the best way to really learn about Linux in general *and* end up with your own truly custom built, machine specific, distro.

Developer

Thanks Re@lity LFS looks cool. I think I'll try that next.

Newer screenshot of gentoo

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    Thanks Re@lity LFS looks cool. I think I'll try that next.

Newer screenshot of gentoo
    Go for it

You'll enjoy the experience, I'm sure

It's a very similar approach, in principal, I suppose, although you'll find it a little more in depth, as you actually start with building your own toolchain completely from scratch, onto an empty partition, before you have the necessary tools to even be able to compile anything.
    And then (as the name suggests, obviously!) you will build/compile absolutely *everything* from scratch yourself, even creating your own filesystem hierarchy.
    Perhaps just as importantly, you'll also learn all about the "whys and wherefores" not just the "hows"

It's a long haul, but I really can't think of a better way to learn about how Linux works.
    It's an excellent project to undertake

(quick edit: You'll probably find out for yourself, but if you start off by downloading the prescribed sources one by one, from the provided links, it can be annoying to find out afterwards that if you look on their ftp server there's actually a tarball of them all, also including the required patches which would otherwise also be linked for download, one by one! Just thought I'd mention it )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast