Thread: Help installing Wireless USB dongle (ew-7318usg)

Just burned his ISO

Default Help installing Wireless USB dongle (ew-7318usg)

Is anyone else experiencing disappearing threads, as in all the forums are empty for a few hours and then 8-10 hours later I check back and the threads are back! To weird.I'd search but I can't see the threads. I'm hoping I'll be able to get back to this thread, so if there is another thread with the answers, could you cut and paste them here? I'd REALLY appreciate it as I've been dealing with this for almost a week now I'm so anxious to get this working!

That being said, I have had problems searching and am in desperate need to figure out how to install my new USB wireless card ew-7318usg (edimax). I have BT3 installed on a USB card (is there a regular install distro, no LiveCD/USB)?

I need to know what I need to download.
    I'm new to Slack but have a little Linux experience with Ubuntu.

Once/if it is downloaded, what do I have to type to get the driver installed.
    -What do I have to do to turn the USB card on?
    -Can this be done so that it is loaded every time on bootup?
    So I have to be SU and if I do, how do I do that in Slack.? (sudo, su)? I am running on a fresh USB install and I don't think I ever setup a username. Should this be done?
    -Do I need to disable the internal wireless? (Intel Pro Wireless 3925ABG)
    -What do I do for the built-in NIC?(Marvell Youkon 88E8038 PCI-Express card, in a gateway laptop)

What else needs to be done to get my new wireless card to work? Thank you for any help you can provide!

Quote Originally Posted by cilbuper View Post
    Is anyone else experiencing disappearing threads, as in all the forums are empty for a few hours and then 8-10 hours later I check back and the threads are back! To weird.I'd search but I can't see the threads. I'm hoping I'll be able to get back to this thread, so if there is another thread with the answers, could you cut and paste them here? I'd REALLY appreciate it as I've been dealing with this for almost a week now I'm so anxious to get this working!

That being said, I have had problems searching and am in desperate need to figure out how to install my new USB wireless card ew-7318usg (edimax). I have BT3 installed on a USB card (is there a regular install distro, no LiveCD/USB)?

I need to know what I need to download.
    I'm new to Slack but have a little Linux experience with Ubuntu.

Once/if it is downloaded, what do I have to type to get the driver installed.
    -What do I have to do to turn the USB card on?
    -Can this be done so that it is loaded every time on bootup?
    So I have to be SU and if I do, how do I do that in Slack.? (sudo, su)? I am running on a fresh USB install and I don't think I ever setup a username. Should this be done?
    -Do I need to disable the internal wireless? (Intel Pro Wireless 3925ABG)
    -What do I do for the built-in NIC?(Marvell Youkon 88E8038 PCI-Express card, in a gateway laptop)

What else needs to be done to get my new wireless card to work? Thank you for any help you can provide!
    Ok I am not sure about your search problem I use it on a dally basis and have not had any problems.

As for your card it is already supported by BT3 check the wiki http://backtrack.offensive-security....e=HCL:Wireless
    all so check out this maybe you just need to configure it correctly
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/sho...ighlight=xatar

Now for your usb install with save changes check out tihs video by pureh@te
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=11201

You should all so check this out
    http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=rt73
    this is the driver for you card.

As for your su sudo question by defult BT3 logs in as root there is no need to su or sudo.

Now if you are haveing problems with the forum surch the use google it is your friend I found all this info in about 2 min with google.