Thread: IPv4 vs. IPv6 Torrent Speeds

Question IPv4 vs. IPv6 Torrent Speeds

Hi All,

I recently upgraded from an ADSL connection to a VDSL. The maximum download speed is the same for me with both accounts (capped at 5Mbps download).

However my IP address with the VDSL is now an IPv6 address. And altho my overall connection speed hasn't changed (max download speed still capped at 5Mbps), my Torrent download speeds have more than doubled!! Previously, files would (roughly on average) find maybe 10 peers and download at about 10-20 KBps. Now I am finding alot more peers for the same files, and the files download on average at 20-50 KBps!

I am wondering the reason for this? I guess it may be related to the IPv6 somehow? Maybe due to the removal of some IPv4 submasks it can now find more peers easier? Or maybe the larger IPv6 packet size allows for faster downloads of files?

Also, my uplink speed doubled with the VDSL. Previously my ADSL uplink was 500 Kbps, and now with VDSL it's 1.5 Mbps. So this could possibly also be a factor as it can send ACK/NACK's faster now. But still, I was reaching 5 Mbps just fine with the 500 Kbps uplink, so I'm thinking this may not be the reason for the faster torrent speeds. I'm thinking it's more related to IPv6...

Any comments or observations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    radioraiders

Apparently a DSL connection is like a fixed sized pipe direct to the Internet, and not shared with anyone else. However, possibly by sharing the backhauls bandwidth on the exchange had something to do with the slower speeds. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]hehe...
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

penguin_to_bits

As far as I know it's to do with routers. The vast majority of people are still using ipv4, so there's very few people using the ipv6 routers. Less congestion for you.

penguin_to_bits

In my own country, there's daylight robbery when it comes to internet connections. You buy a "2 Meg" connection and the fastest download speed you'll ever get is about 300 kbps. The thing is, you're "sharing" that 2 Meg connection with about 30 other people. Even at half 4 in the morning, you still never get anything near 2 Megs.

When it comes to money loans in my country, every advertisement must list the APR of the loan. Similary with internet connections, they should have to list the ACTUAL speed of the connection. There's an ISP in my country that's offering 20 Meg internet, but my bet is that it's really only 2 meg.

Has anyone ever come up with an equation to relate "actual speed" with bandwith and contention rate? (Of course I realise it would only be approximate, but it'd still be a decent indicator)

Hmmm...good point Penguin...the faster torrent speeds may be related to my ISP's IPv6 router. Maybe the IPv6 network exchange is newer, more powerful and better connected than the IPv4 switch I was previously connected to. This would explain why it's suddenly finding more peers and connecting to them faster. Thanks for the input.

Regarding your sh**ty ISP: wow, that's really bad! Of course ISP's always point out that internet traffic speed is "best effort", they should still deliver something close to what they advertise. I've been lucky, I've almost always gotten the speeds promised to me.

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by penguin_to_bits View Post
    In my own country, there's daylight robbery when it comes to internet connections. You buy a "2 Meg" connection and the fastest download speed you'll ever get is about 300 kbps. The thing is, you're "sharing" that 2 Meg connection with about 30 other people. Even at half 4 in the morning, you still never get anything near 2 Megs.

When it comes to money loans in my country, every advertisement must list the APR of the loan. Similary with internet connections, they should have to list the ACTUAL speed of the connection. There's an ISP in my country that's offering 20 Meg internet, but my bet is that it's really only 2 meg.

Has anyone ever come up with an equation to relate "actual speed" with bandwith and contention rate? (Of course I realise it would only be approximate, but it'd still be a decent indicator)
    This isn't uncommon, most if not all cable internet providers are a shared bandwith.

Hi All,

I recently upgraded from an ADSL connection to a VDSL. The maximum download speed is the same for me with both accounts (capped at 5Mbps download).

However my IP address with the VDSL is now an IPv6 address. And altho my overall connection speed hasn't changed (max download speed still capped at 5Mbps), my Torrent download speeds have more than doubled!! Previously, files would (roughly on average) find maybe 10 peers and download at about 10-20 KBps. Now I am finding alot more peers for the same files, and the files download on average at 20-50 KBps!

I am wondering the reason for this? I guess it may be related to the IPv6 somehow? Maybe due to the removal of some IPv4 submasks it can now find more peers easier? Or maybe the larger IPv6 packet size allows for faster downloads of files?

Also, my uplink speed doubled with the VDSL. Previously my ADSL uplink was 500 Kbps, and now with VDSL it's 1.5 Mbps. So this could possibly also be a factor as it can send ACK/NACK's faster now. But still, I was reaching 5 Mbps just fine with the 500 Kbps uplink, so I'm thinking this may not be the reason for the faster torrent speeds. I'm thinking it's more related to IPv6...

Any comments or observations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    radioraiders
    Most likely because IPv6 is backwards compatible. You are now getting people who are using IPv6 addresses and IPv4 as with IPv4 you could not.

Quote Originally Posted by hhmatt81 View Post
    Most likely because IPv6 is backwards compatible. You are now getting people who are using IPv6 addresses and IPv4 as with IPv4 you could not.
    Ding, ding, ding! Sounds like a winner! I just looked at the list of my peers IP addresses and there are now indeed IPv6 addresses lsited there, whereas perviously I beleive there werent.

Seems like I overlooked the easiest and most obvious answer Thanks for the feedback guys!