Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: BT3 Tutorial : Installing Nessus 3.2.0

Just burned his ISO

Hey, great tutorial. Thanks for doing all the grunt work.

Dice

Just a couple of things (I'm on BT3 Final HD install with Nessus v3.2.1 - FC9 RPMs).

I stress these small issues were for me, but:

nessus-mkcert threw an error because I used the lib~.so.6 instead of
    ln libssl.so libssl.so.7
    and
    ln libcrypto.so libcrypto.so.7

also:
    NessusClient wouldn't start because of a glibcxx error I think. Anyway, I installed slapt and upgraded to slax 12.1 and this sorted it.

Two notes though, on my Lenovo T42:
    I needed to install pixman because startx failed after the upgrade.
    Also, artsd crashed all the time so I installed xine-lib, xine-ui and gxine and that sorted artsd.

The full upgrade to 12.1 was probably not necessary but it was only 100 meg so I thought bugger it and the xine stuff to cure the artsd crash, well, it worked for me. So if anyone knows any better....

I thought I would have a go at installing this on my BT3 USB install (having it working on another Linux Distro).

Get the following when trying to create the cert:

opt/nessus/sbin/nessus-mkcert: line 94: /opt/nessus//sbin/nessusd: No such file or directory
    Executing nessusd failed. Make sure your library loader is configured properly
    and that nessusd is in your $PATH

Just burned his ISO

For those of you getting the /opt/nessus//sbin/nessusd: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.6: cannot open shared object... error message, here is how I resolved it:

- cd /lib
    - ln libssl.so libssl.so.6
    - cp /usr/lib/libcrypto.so /lib
    - cd /lib
    - ln libcrypto.so libcrypto.so.6

Just burned his ISO

Hey guys. Great tutorial. I followed something similar to this tutorial on this website: tom.postnix.org/?p=116

Like some of you though I was getting this error code:
    Code:
    /opt/nessus//sbin/nessusd: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Executing nessusd failed. Make sure your library loader is configured properly
    and that nessusd is in your $PATH
    To fix this, as the other guy mentioned you just have to change the linking command from:

Code:
    ln libssl.so libssl.so.6

ln libcrypto.so libcrypto.so.6
    To This:
    Code:
    ln libssl.so libssl.so.7

ln libcrypto.so libcrypto.so.7
    And everything should go ahead perfectly

Another strange error that I ran into was when I attempted to use the registration code. I received an odd error:
    Code:
    unknow error --
    That was all I received and after a wee bit of digging I managed to put two and two together to find out why this was happening. I was using different proxies to connect to the internet which was causing a problem with nessus's ability to connect to the internet. I was sure of how to configure nessus to use the proper proxy (if anyone knows the command line syntax that would be AMAZING!!). So all I had to do was go in and put that back to normal and all was well.
    I know most of you aren't as dumb as me and probably won't make this mistake but I though I would share it without anyways just in case

Hope this helps other new users to backtrack 3 and nessus as it did me

thanks

Great tutorial, worked great! Thanks

Good friend of the forums williamc's Avatar

Update:

You can download the new release 3.2.1 Fedora Core 8 rpms from Tenable. Once you have them, follow the tutorial on page 1. Request a new registration code and run the nessus-fetch --register XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

Hi to all. I have installed Nessus 3.2.1 but i have a problem...When i connect to the nessusd, i have one error: "It was not possible to login using the supplied credentials.". How to resolve?

P.S. When the NessusClient start, i have this problem: "/opt/nessus/bin/NessusClient: /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0: no version information available (required by /opt/nessus/lib/libQtGui.so.4)"

Quote Originally Posted by SYNTESYS View Post
    Hi to all. I have installed Nessus 3.2.1 but i have a problem...When i connect to the nessusd, i have one error: "It was not possible to login using the supplied credentials.". How to resolve?

P.S. When the NessusClient start, i have this problem: "/opt/nessus/bin/NessusClient: /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0: no version information available (required by /opt/nessus/lib/libQtGui.so.4)"
    It's been about a month since your post but did you overlook when you hit the connect button you have to select localhost and click then click edit and enter the user name and password you entered during installation?

Default libQtXml.so.4: ca error

Hello everyone,

great tutorial, thanks for sharing.

I followed all the instructions and everything works fine until I start nessusclient and I get the following error message:

/opt/nessus/bin/NessusClient: error while loading shared libraries: libQtXml.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I've searched around and can't find an answer to the problem. I updated the QT package again through gslapt but it seems that somehow the libQtXml.so.4: is nowhere to be found.
    Any ideas?

(I'm using Nessus-3.2.1-fc9.i386.tgz and NessusClient-3.2.1.1-fc9.i386.tgz packages from nessus website and I have Slackware 12.0 and have updated everything through FastTrack).

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast