Thread: Updating fasttrack in BT3/for noobs

Just burned his ISO

Thumbs up Updating fasttrack in BT3/for noobs

hi and welcome to my noobs tutorial on how to update fasttrack in BT3.

i have only just found out the version of fasttrack pre-installed on BT3 is an old version and not the newest version which also has a gui.

i will show you how i updated mine with the latest verison
    (which has tutorials)

i am running the live BT3 cd,

first i download the lasted v. of fasttrack from

the securestate website free-tools index to my pen drive.

I then copied and pasted it into my home folder in BT3.

once this is done open a console session and type,

> tar xzf fasttrack.tgz
    > ./setup.py install

> enter
    > yes
    > yes

all done, now all you have to do to start the gui is type

> ./fast-track.py -g and you will be prompted to open a browser session with
    > the web address provided, enjoy the tutorials on the site.

hope this has helped

Isn't one of fast-tracks features to update fast-track through the text/web interface? Wouldn't that be easier (:
    - Poul Wittig

Somebody should make a tutorial how to zip your fly without getting your dick caught.
    Don't eat yellow snow :rolleyes:

Developer

Fast-track has a update feature in the menu.

EDIT: It seems the OP has some kind of problem with my comments so I will clarify. Writing a tutorial is fine however the fast-track (-i) option which is the interactive menu and was the first menu ever to be implemented with fast-track has a "update fast-track" option in the "updates" section. I was not flaming you or being mean or whatever else you want to say about me. Your post could actually be considered the non n00b way to update fast-track. It would be like posting command line way of using windows update. I'm reopening the thread to be a nice guy and I would apreciate if no one flames this kid for attempting to make a contribution to the community. Thanks.

P.S. Let me also explain that I have enough friends and I am only here to moderate the forum.

Just burned his ISO

some clarity regarding this post,

first of all im familiar with the fasttrack update option

when i use my live cd and try that option it says that fasttrack.py cannot be found,
    hence why i found away around the fact it wouldn't update, maybe its a small error with my live cd, none the less, i thought it would be uselful for anyone else experiencing the same problem, and a good exercise, if anyone else has had the same problem and found this useful, i would appreciate a thumbs up, cheers.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by dualboot View Post
    some clarity regarding this post,

first of all im familiar with the fasttrack update option

when i use my live cd and try that option it says that fasttrack.py cannot be found,
    hence why i found away around the fact it wouldn't update, maybe its a small error with my live cd, none the less, i thought it would be uselful for anyone else experiencing the same problem, and a good exercise, if anyone else has had the same problem and found this useful, i would appreciate a thumbs up, cheers.
    I think you should try,fast-track.py instead of fasttrack.py