Thread: Internet-based cd to usb/dvd HD Install upgrade

Hybrid View

Lightbulb Internet-based cd to usb/dvd HD Install upgrade

Maybe something over svn... I know a lot of linux users happen to use older desktops/laptops without dvd drives/burners or usb boot capability. Actually I've got one here I wouldn't mind setting up myself come to think of it.

Also this would be a one-shot answer to those on this forum having trouble with making the usb file into an iso. Then we can look forward to a whole new slew of messages asking about how to use svn .

-ps I just realized this pops into the bt2 features... my suggestion is in relation to bt3 development and final release.
    ================================================== ===
    Dr. Walter - Depraved linguist, Benevolent troublemaker extraordinaire

Good friend of the forums

look into PXE
    clonezilla and PING both support it

So you can't boot from DVD or USB. Is there something wrong with CD? If you can't boot from either 3 then I'd question how useful the system is actually going to be in carrying out any pentesting.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    So you can't boot from DVD or USB. Is there something wrong with CD? If you can't boot from either 3 then I'd question how useful the system is actually going to be in carrying out any pentesting.
    I think you slightly misunderstood what I meant. I have a laptop up and running bt3 just fine. My suggestion was geared towards people who don't/can't get the usb version working because of their system or various other problems.

Having the cd version upgradeable online to its usb counterpart would be a matter of convenience. Although I have no real complaints whatsoever about the beta cd I know there are others who wouldn't mind a few extra features, not to mention the simplicity of just popping on a server and upgrading them.

This could also be an applicable and feasible way of solving developmental software and hardware bugs along the way.

As for my older laptop I'm not really too concerned since it's been sitting in a corner. It would however still be useful if I were to put it on there. I could get the cd version up just fine then pop in my wg511t without a problem - Just no DVD/Usb-booting/Ethernet support.

I could see what you were getting at until "Just no DVD/Usb-booting/Ethernet support".

If you don't have Ethernet support how are you getting online to do this new Internet install/update that you want. Yer gonna do the USB install online via dialup?

You can currently do a harddrive install from the CD and add/upgrade anything you like.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    I could see what you were getting at until "Just no DVD/Usb-booting/Ethernet support".

If you don't have Ethernet support how are you getting online to do this new Internet install/update that you want. Yer gonna do the USB install online via dialup?

You can currently do a harddrive install from the CD and add/upgrade anything you like.
    That's why I mentioned my Netgear WG511T card. It's a pain not having ethernet but I can get online as long as I can get working drivers onto the machine. As obviously I'd be averse towards a modem upgrade .

But again, since I already have a fully operational newer laptop running bt3, I'm suggesting this moreso for the other reasons I've stated previously: Continuity of bt software/hardware development, and the elimination of upgrade difficulties.