Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Career advancing

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

Default Career advancing

I have a predicament here.
    I'm planning on moving to a completely different state, this also means finding a new job. I work in a small business where I'm the only technician, its a local shop in the city. Its time to move on since the building is being bought out and the shop will no longer be there in about 6 months. It doesn't pay the best but I enjoy what I do and its close to home.

I currently have about 1 year work experience in PC repair. I have my A+, Net+, MCDST certifications.

I'm wondering from some of the more experienced people here whether I should go for a sys admin or net admin positions maybe I'm not qualified for either of those. It seems that I don't have the experience for the net admin position although that's where I would most like to be. I'm not certain where I want to move to yet but I'm thinking washington, florida, or arizona.(If anyone lives in any of these states I wouldn't mind hearing about your opinions on the companies in these areas. Maybe you know of any good ones or know of some I should avoid?!?) My overall goal is to break myself into security and possibly pen testing although I have nothing that states that I have any qualifications for either of those. I'm just taking this one step at a time as I know eventually I'll be able to make that choice to work where I want.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

I know someone in Florida that might be interested. I'll send him an email and see if he needs anyone.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Good friend of the forums williamc's Avatar

Do you have a degree? Working on one?

William

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I know someone in Florida that might be interested. I'll send him an email and see if he needs anyone.
    That would be great! Just let me know when you get a responce.

Quote Originally Posted by williamc
    Do you have a degree? Working on one?
    No degree, I just went to an instructor lead school to get my certs. I'm not currently enrolled in any schooling but I'm hoping that I can find a company that would help with paying for more certs. I would eventually like to get cisco certified (CCNA, CCNP), and get a few security certs I would also like to learn to program in many different languages; I know VB and am currently teaching myself C++. I can read almost any language and usually understand what the program is doing I just don't know the syntax and other specifics as well as I would like to.

Check your PM.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

A place you may want to check out is CGI, They pay very well and they cover certs and travel expenses. I know they started a hiring blitz, but I think they are looking for people with CCNA and CCNP

Don't forget FL blows away once or twice a year. From my perspective, in a new state, looking for a job, your certs will really help out. Though you'll have to back them up in the interview.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Don't forget FL blows away once or twice a year. From my perspective, in a new state, looking for a job, your certs will really help out. Though you'll have to back them up in the interview.
    Yes, but aren't you currently sitting on the outside edge of Tornado Alley?

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Yes, but aren't you currently sitting on the outside edge of Tornado Alley?
    Yeah, but Barry is in a bunker. Tornaders dont bother him.
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

Developer

I'm about to drown here in the Ohio valley. Been raining for a week.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast