Thread: BT3 and Nessus 3.2.0

Good friend of the forums williamc's Avatar

Default BT3 and Nessus 3.2.0

I've been trying to get Nessus 3.2 installed on BT3. I've been using this tutorial as a guide:
    http://backtrack.offensive-security....Install_Nessus

I used the Fedora 8 RPM files.
    Nessus-3.2.0-fc8.i386.rpm
    NessusClient-3.2.0-fc8.i386.rpm

along with the recommended nessus libraries from the tutorial:
    http://www.nessus.org/download/fget....nce_accept=yes

All goes well until I installed the client. Using the pkgtool, I get the following error messages:
    Code:
    /sbin/ldconfig: /usr/local/lib/libXaw.so.5.0 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/local/lib/libXmu.so.4.0 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/local/lib/libXmu.so.4.10 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/local/lib/libXt.so.4.10 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /lib/libpcap-nessus.so.3 is not a symbolic link

/sbin/ldconfig: /lib/libnessusrx.so.0 is not a symbolic link

/sbin/ldconfig: /lib/libnessus.so.3 is not a symbolic link

/sbin/ldconfig: /lib/libQtXml.so.4 is not a symbolic link

/sbin/ldconfig: /lib/libQtGui.so.4 is not a symbolic link

/sbin/ldconfig: /lib/libQtCore.so.4 is not a symbolic link
    I continued on, created the symbolic links and configured and updated nessus. Now I launch the client, and the GUI comes up. I click connect and get the following error:
    It was not possible to connect to the remote host - make sure the host IP and port are correct

Selecting the localhost and edit lists it as 127.0.0.1 port 1241

Any suggestions? I'll take your input and update the tutorial for 3.2 once it works. Thanks.

William

Have you created a user? You need to create a user in order to log into the "remote server". nessus-adduser then input your user name, select the pass method, and input your desired password. Edit your connection settings to reflect this and viola, your set.

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Ahhh, yes. Now I'm getting along
    So I now logged into my client and can scan. I do get this error message after launching the client:
    Code:
    NessusClient: /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0: no version information available (required by /opt/nessus/lib/libQtGui.so.4)
    Aside from that, this is good to go. Thanks ShadowKill!

William

Quote Originally Posted by williamc View Post
    Ahhh, yes. Now I'm getting along
    So I now logged into my client and can scan. I do get this error message after launching the client:
    Code:
    NessusClient: /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0: no version information available (required by /opt/nessus/lib/libQtGui.so.4)
    Aside from that, this is good to go. Thanks ShadowKill!

William
    No problem buddy, glad to see you are on your way. Let us know if you fix that little error as well, it may help some people later on....

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

It has something to do with the way libpng is built in slackware. Apparently its built without a version dependency of some sort. Application still works though. Read more here:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...ilable-613930/

I created an install tutorial. View it here:
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=13127

William

I installed and registered it, but it takes forever to load plugins and when i run it against a host it causes a hard crash. can't get into any other consoles (ctl+alt+f2 or others), can't kill X, can't do anything but hit the power button to kill it. Anyone else get this?

Default BT3b on the eee PC went kaput after I followed this tutorial

Yes, I too got the same results as RageLtMan. The plugins were really slow to load. Couldn't shut down the eee PC. Went to cold boot afterwards, and it was as if the BIOS could not see the SDHC card that BT3b was installed on. The OS was hosed.

Waited several minutes and tried to boot from the SDHC card again. It booted into BT3b, but the icons on the desktop showed at 48 pixels (I had them previously set to 32). None of the icons in the Storage Media folder looked as they did before.

Tried to reboot once again, and the eee PC's BIOS refused to see the SDHC card BT3B was installed on. Spent several hours on another laptop installing and customizing BT3b again on my SDHC card. All is well now. I'll wait for a proper tutorial or for BT3 final.
    "Whatever happened to playing a hunch, Scully? The element of surprise, random acts of unpredictability? If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

Nessus plugins take a long time to load (typically several minutes). That's just the way it is.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

first time round is the longest...