Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ipcop/smoothwall/firewall Wifi Client Suggestions

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

Default Ipcop/smoothwall/firewall Wifi Client Suggestions

I am trying to get one of these types of distros to work wirelessly. So the red interface would connect to a wifi hotspot and then the green interface would share out to the rest of the LAN.

I want to have a computer in between me and the wifi hotspot I am using. However, I dont want to add ANOTHER machine. Right now it's XP connects wifi to my room-mate's wifi then is ICS to my smoothwall box, then out to the rest of my lan.

I'd like to simplifiy this by having a machine that connects to the wifi and then acts as a firewall and provides squid and all that jazz as well. I realize this is the BT forum, but I know several of you that use IPCOP and Smoothie. Thanks guys.
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

Quote Originally Posted by spankdidly View Post
    I am trying to get one of these types of distros to work wirelessly. So the red interface would connect to a wifi hotspot and then the green interface would share out to the rest of the LAN.

I want to have a computer in between me and the wifi hotspot I am using. However, I dont want to add ANOTHER machine. Right now it's XP connects wifi to my room-mate's wifi then is ICS to my smoothwall box, then out to the rest of my lan.

I'd like to simplifiy this by having a machine that connects to the wifi and then acts as a firewall and provides squid and all that jazz as well. I realize this is the BT forum, but I know several of you that use IPCOP and Smoothie. Thanks guys.
    IPCop Orange or Blue interface rings a bell...
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Quote Originally Posted by swc666 View Post
    IPCop Orange or Blue interface rings a bell...
    isn't that for access point mode, not client mode??
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

The only "easy" way I can think of is adding a wifi router in bridge mode in front of the red interface. As far as I know, you can't have a wireless red interface. Though, I suppose you could edit the config files by hand, probably wouldn't be easy though.

Well a quick look over at ipcops.org and the smoothwall.org forums, says no. There were a couple suggestions of a dd-wrt in bridge mode though.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

To clarify, you want it set up like this:

WAN > Wifi > Firewall > LAN ... where the Wifi AP would be in between the firewall and WAN?
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Quote Originally Posted by swc666 View Post
    To clarify, you want it set up like this:

WAN > Wifi > Firewall > LAN ... where the Wifi AP would be in between the firewall and WAN?
    The way I read it was,

Wifi > Firewall > LAN.

The way you have it set is how I have mine set up, sorta. WIFI is on Blue, which is on the lan side of the firewall, but separated by the firewall.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

dd-wrt in client mode will do what you're looking for.

Client mode – The radio interface is used to connect the internet-facing side of the router (i.e., the WAN) as a client to a remote accesspoint. NAT or routing are performed between WAN and LAN, like in "normal" gateway or router mode. Use this mode, e.g., if your internet connection is provided by a remote accesspoint, and you want to connect a subnet of your own to it.
    If smoothwall won't do what you want it to, roll your own. You could setup your smoothwall box with a wireless nic and run a stripped down slackware on it. Use your wifi card to access the hotspot and run a switch off your nic. Install webmin for a web interface and run it on the internal nic. You can configure the firewall, squid and a host of other services from webmin.

I think a stand alone, hardened firewall is pretty important in a business context, but for a home network a regular linux box running iptables is much more versatile. I set up mine on an old laptop (pentium 2, 128mb ram). I even used to run a jukebox lan server on my internal interface, as well as dnsmasq, apache and a ntp server. You'll learn more building your own, anyway.

Good Luck

May not help but didnt want ipcop and smoothwall to have all the fun

http://www.untangle.com

Thanks for the replies. Yes, My internet connection IS connecting to an AP. So I'd like to put a firewall between it and my Lan. I just want to simplify it. I've already tried DD-WRT and it's not reliable enough to do. I have 2 of the newer wrt54g models and it runs like crap. I basically want to add something between me and the AP that logs any traffic/sites/IMs/etc going through. Which smoothwall does greatly, however I would need another damned box just to connect to the AP.

Quote Originally Posted by Blindbat View Post
    May not help but didnt want ipcop and smoothwall to have all the fun

http://www.untangle.com
    The problem with untangle is it requires a beefier machine to run it. It also won't separate wired and wireless connections as easily. I looked into it a while back. It's pretty, but I don't really see what it can do that the other two can't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast