Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Laptop Theft

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Re@lity View Post
    Yes, extreme care should be taken, especially when editing a BIOS whitelist, in my experience!

I have USB and parallel port based dongles for removing BIOS passwords.
    These work on many makes/models of laptops, but not all.
    (Yes the p'port isn't used on laptops these days, but I still keep it for "oldies" )

On the subject of a UPS, monitors aren't such an issue. It's laser printers you should never connect to a UPS
    Hmmm, I was always told both. But I did forget to mention laser printers also thank you.

This is only what I've been told so I can see how it could be wrong. I've never tested it myself. I should've been more specific anyways I meant CRT's not LCD's. I just like to play it safe anyways and only use the UPS for the more sensitive equipment. I'll have to test this more.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Our lab wanted me to get a UPS to run the centrifuge and the autoclave, but I couldn't get a straight answer as to the inrush current for either one.
    What sort of weird science experiments are you doing with Wi-Fi there Dr. Weird?? (Dr. Weird from Aqua Teen)

Microwave radiation patterns that effect sterility??
    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=5][B][COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]--=[/COLOR][/FONT]Xploitz[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]=--[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Black][SIZE=6][B] ®[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][B]Remote-Exploit.orgs Master Tutorialist.[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=6][B]™
    [/B][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9063"][B]VIDEO: Volume #1 "E-Z No Client WEP Cracking Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7872"][B]VIDEO: Volume #2 "E-Z No Client Korek Chopchop Attack Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8230"][B]VIDEO: Volume #3 "E-Z WPA/WPA2 Cracking Tutorial"[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8041"][B]VIDEO: Volume #4 "E-Z Cracking WPA/WPA2 With Airolib-ng Databases"[/B][/URL]
    [/CENTER]

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by hhmatt81 View Post
    Hmmm, I was always told both. But I did forget to mention laser printers also thank you.

This is only what I've been told so I can see how it could be wrong. I've never tested it myself. I should've been more specific anyways I meant CRT's not LCD's. I just like to play it safe anyways and only use the UPS for the more sensitive equipment. I'll have to test this more.
    CRT's will not bother most UPii, except for being an extreme drain on battery power when the main fails. If you do lose power for an extended time, how are you going to see to shut your machine down if you don't have your monitor hooked up to a UPS?

Of course, all the machines that we have here are connected via either USB or serial cable and are configured to auto-shutdown on power failure.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by -=Xploitz=- View Post
    What sort of weird science experiments are you doing with Wi-Fi there Dr. Weird?? (Dr. Weird from Aqua Teen)

Microwave radiation patterns that effect sterility??
    It is not a PC lab, it's a Bio lab, we have actual real chemists working.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by -=Xploitz=- View Post
    I wonder if you removed this chip....if the PC would still function or not??

Most security settings are stored in regular old volatile RAM...but this chip you mentioned may be a "flash" type or "non volatile memory" meaning that it saves this info until the next session. Or perhaps maybe theres an internal power supply elsewhere??

Either way...have you tried a BIOS hex editor on it to remove the password?
    Some IBM/Lenovo units (T40 series and others) have a hardwired encryption chip. A hex editor will not remove the password, and removing the chip will render the laptop useless. Also, IBM will not reset it for anyone If you set it to prevent boot without the correct password, prevent accessing the BIOS w/o the password, and used to encrypt a section of the hard drive, it's about as effect as you can get.

Even if it's stolen, the laptop can't be booted, and if the drive is placed in another machine, then the encrypted section of the drive can't be read. It's how my client files are kept secure.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69
    Of course, all the machines that we have here are connected via either USB or serial cable and are configured to auto-shutdown on power failure.
    Hope for the power to be restored in time or auto configure a shutdown.

It is not a PC lab, it's a Bio lab, we have actual real chemists working.
    As opposed to fake ones?

Quote Originally Posted by hhmatt81 View Post
    Hope for the power to be restored in time or auto configure a shutdown.
    Last summer a pole right across the street from our building just snapped off and fell into the road. The entire area was without power for at least two hours.

At our plant, it isn't that much of a concern as we actually get power from both a primary and secondary grid, one comes from the north, the other comes from the south, each one is fed from a nuclear power plant. The UPii down there really only need to maintain power for the 10 seconds it takes to switch between the two grids. I got a little ambitious when I was calculating the size of UPS I'd need for a couple of the PLC's. It's hard to know how much current they draw, one of the UPS can stay running for 232 minutes and the other for 187 minutes.

As opposed to fake ones?
    Yep, we don't like fake chemists.

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

Yep, we don't like fake chemists.
    Fake Chemists don't last very long. They go *POOF*.
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

APC have a quite nice "calculator" for assessing your UPS requirements.
    It's freely available on their website. It's also just as useful for gaining your required specs, even if you aren't going to go with APC for the purchase. It will at least point you to the right ballpark, as it where....

As for monitors, although most UPS's are "smart" devices these days and save open files and close machines down gracefully, it is still very common to use a monitor also. Although these days it is mostly going to be LCD rather than CRT, admittedly.

Anyway, as for laser printers, I meant to mention that many higher end UPS's have a separate socket for laser printers and the like. It's basically a "pass-through" port, so you can still benefit from power conditioning, but minus the power backup.

Quote Originally Posted by Re@lity View Post
    APC have a quite nice "calculator" for assessing your UPS requirements.
    It's freely available on their website. It's also just as useful for gaining your required specs, even if you aren't going to go with APC for the purchase. It will at least point you to the right ballpark, as it where....

As for monitors, although most UPS's are "smart" devices these days and save open files and close machines down gracefully, it is still very common to use a monitor also. Although these days it is mostly going to be LCD rather than CRT, admittedly.

Anyway, as for laser printers, I meant to mention that many higher end UPS's have a separate socket for laser printers and the like. It's basically a "pass-through" port, so you can still benefit from power conditioning, but minus the power backup.
    Yeah, I've used the calculator before, sometimes it's rough though when you're trying to aggregate maybe 20 different devices in a cabinet.

I really like APC's NetSNMP cards for their larger units. I have them scattered around, makes it nice and easy to monitor.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast