Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Laptop Theft

Quote Originally Posted by williamc View Post
    Here's what I would do in the future. Get ahold of this app:
    http://www.directupdate.net/
    Run this on your workstations/laptops. The app will update your IP through dyndns. Now, from a remote location, you can access your workstation/laptop through whatever backdoor you installed. Its an easy way to gather information, you can provide the IP to his ISP and police, you can also access your computer and attempt to track him down. I have terminal services and pcanywhere running.

Now if he formats it, then your S.O.L.

William
    I am not sure if I'd really want to install any backdoors to my machine if it is connected to the internet.
    It might be convenient and sound good for finding something if it might get stolen.

But the first reason against it is the one you mentioned already. The second is that I wouldn't feel secure having something like that running on my machine.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by penguin_to_bits View Post
    Do the two of you live in the USA? How come equipment gets damaged when they turn the power back on? In my own country, nothing ever gets damaged when there's a power-cut.
    This is a pretty bold thing to say. If thats the correct term to use.

penguin_to_bits

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    But the first reason against it is the one you mentioned already. The second is that I wouldn't feel secure having something like that running on my machine.
    If we're talking preventative measures, then I'd think you'll agree there's far better things to do than use dynamic DNS to track the IP address. You'd want to work on it not getting stolen in the first place. Alarms, locks, motion sensors, guard dogs, all that jazz. Or even better, have a hiding place for it. A friend of mine hides sizable sums of cash in his house in his living room right under everyone's nose, but good luck to you finding it.

My own laptop has a BIOS password and entire hard disk partitions encrypted with TrueCrypt, so if it was ever robbed it'd only be any use if it was opened up and also wiped clean.

penguin_to_bits

Quote Originally Posted by hhmatt81 View Post
    This is a pretty bold thing to say. If thats the correct term to use.
    Not telling a lie, I've never heard of any equipment getting damaged because of a power cut. What happens in the US when they turn the power back on? Voltage spikes or something? I can't think of anything other than voltage spikes that would damage equipment.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Not telling a lie, I've never heard of any equipment getting damaged because of a power cut. What happens in the US when they turn the power back on? Voltage spikes or something? I can think of anything other than voltage spikes that would damage equipment.
    Computers are quickly damaged more from Brownouts than from actual spikes. Which is why I always recommend a UPS over a 'surge' suppressor any day of the week. A UPS will do both function, lock the output voltage between 115 and 125vac as well as boost when needed if the voltage drops below 115.

Since many modern electronics don't actually turn off when you think you're turning them off, they're in a perpetual sleep mode. So if the power flickers on and off, they can receive a large inductive spike in the line. Things were better when there was an actual physical contact switch to turn stuff off, but now everything is complex circuitry for their suspend modes, and that's what burns out many times.

I have a APC 1250 on my entertainment center that also runs my fishtank, and then I have a APC500 that runs the LCD in our bedroom. It's a cheap investment to make over the damage that can occur from lightening strikes and brownouts.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

Not telling a lie, I've never heard of any equipment getting damaged because of a power cut. What happens in the US when they turn the power back on? Voltage spikes or something? I can't think of anything other than voltage spikes that would damage equipment.
    When the jackos turn the power back on sometimes there is a spike. I was a dumbass and didn't have it plugged into a surge protector. We had just moved in and everything wasn't setup yet. Now EVERYTHING is plugged into a surge protector, and when it gets windy I start switching them off. :P
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

UPS's are awesome!
    I have power issues in my apartment where the fuse will blow if I have too much running. This doesn't work well with all the computer equipment that I run daily and the fridge, microwave, lights, etc... I purchased a used UPS for $20 it works great still. Just a side note though if you plan on using a UPS for your computers. DON'T plug your monitor into it.

The only unfortunate part of my UPS is the very very loud beeping it makes when the power goes down. I'm afraid to open it because of the stored power it has to unplug whatever is making this horrid noise.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by hhmatt81 View Post
    UPS's are awesome!
    I have power issues in my apartment where the fuse will blow if I have too much running. This doesn't work well with all the computer equipment that I run daily and the fridge, microwave, lights, etc... I purchased a used UPS for $20 it works great still. Just a side note though if you plan on using a UPS for your computers. DON'T plug your monitor into it.

The only unfortunate part of my UPS is the very very loud beeping it makes when the power goes down. I'm afraid to open it because of the stored power it has to unplug whatever is making this horrid noise.
    On the circuit board is a Piezo buzzer that makes the beeping. They're safe to open, just disconnect the main power and disconnect the batteries. Stay away from touching any capacitor. Take a small piece of styrofoam and tape it over the output of the Piezo buzzer. That should soften up the sound some.

The piezo buzzer will be black, and probably about 1/2" in diameter with a hole on the top.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    On the circuit board is a Piezo buzzer that makes the beeping. They're safe to open, just disconnect the main power and disconnect the batteries. Stay away from touching any capacitor. Take a small piece of styrofoam and tape it over the output of the Piezo buzzer. That should soften up the sound some.

The piezo buzzer will be black, and probably about 1/2" in diameter with a hole on the top.
    You trying to injure me streaker? I'm just kidding.

Anyone who doesn't know what a capacitor is or looks like should not try this!

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

I dunno Man. I listened to Streaker's advice one time about electronics and it went bad. He told me how to install an electric fence and well, now I'm sterile.

On a serious note, My buddy did have an electric fence and used to run wire from the fence, through his window, to odd objects of the house (door knobs, the fridge door, etc) I stopped going over there for awhile.
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast