Thread: Kernel Panic: No init found

Just burned his ISO

Question Kernel Panic: No init found

So here is my situation. I am currently running BT3b on a 2gig sdhc card. I am running the live version with persistent changes being saved to an ext2 partition on the sd card. Ok, everything is fine with that.

Now the problem occurs when I tried to upgrade the kernel. I tried using lilo and received the kernel panic about no init found. This is where im lost. I have no idea if there is an init i should be passing the kernel, and where it is, or, how to make an init if there isn't one.

I should also note that I don't even know if it is possible to do it this way while running the live version with persistent changes.

One other thing i did try was to make the new kernel, and then edit the syslinux.cfg file and pass it the new location of the kernel. When I booted that and did a uname -a, it still showed the old kernel version. Is there something I have to run to make the changes take effect on that? Something like running /sbin/lilo after editing lilo?

Anyway, any suggestion on which method works, or how to get either running would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sounds like the kernel was configured to try and mount the root filesystem differently than what is listed in /etc/fstab. If the root filesystem was /dev/hda1 as passed from lilo and /etc/fstab listed it as /dev/sda1, then the kernel will be looking in the completely wrong device.

Compiling the kernel with different filesystem options and working with lilo is always fun.

Developer

The only way thats going to work is if you remaster the lzms with the new kernel as far as I know.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by dattaway View Post
    Sounds like the kernel was configured to try and mount the root filesystem differently than what is listed in /etc/fstab. If the root filesystem was /dev/hda1 as passed from lilo and /etc/fstab listed it as /dev/sda1, then the kernel will be looking in the completely wrong device.

Compiling the kernel with different filesystem options and working with lilo is always fun.
    I'm not sure that is the problem, all though I haven't checked /etc/fstab just yet. The reason I say I don't think that is it is because, the kernel panic happens right after the root filesystem is mounted. It said something about mounting filesystem VFAT, which I believe is the type of filesystem that is created by the live version. I could be way off base here so feel free to point out if I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    The only way thats going to work is if you remaster the lzms with the new kernel as far as I know.
    Epic project? I did a quick google for remastering lzms and couldn't find much. I can't say that it is something I have ever done before. To be honest I really have no idea where to even start reading about it. My understanding is that the lzms are, they are modules that load and that is about all I know. If you could point me in the right direction (when to remaster, during kernel compilation or after, maybe a good link) it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to both of you for helping me out, I really do appreciate it, because I was fairly lost.

Edited to add: I suppose if I am adding kernel patches, I should probably do that before remastering also?