Thread: MacBook Pro VMWare Fusion/USB wireless necessary?

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default MacBook Pro VMWare Fusion/USB wireless necessary?

hello all,
    i just wanted to clarify something. i have been staying up late for a week and a half now searching these forums. i am running backtrack3 through vmware fusion and from what i understand in order for my wireless card to be able to packet inject i either have to a) buy a usb wireless adapter or b) install bt3 onto a partition on my hard drive. so there is no success within vmware whatsoever? thanks for maintaining such a great wealth of info btw.

I am running that very setup and yes it is necessary.

Yea, vmware doesn't see the macbook hardware. It creates a virtual network card that is connected to the real network interfaces. The only way to get a virtual machine to have a real wifi card, or even a real wired network connection is to use a usb device. The virtual machine takes over the usb device, that's why you can't use a thumb drive with both the host os and the virtual machine.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

i really appreciate the concise answers.

you can just run the live cd insted, its not as fast and responsice as in vmware but if you dont want to install it then its your best bet
    Ubuntu/backtrack 3 - HP pavilion DV6000

Just burned his ISO

thanks fellas

Just burned his ISO

Did you find and or can you list any usb dongles/adapters that work with vmware fusion?

Hello all,

I am currently looking for a usb dongle/adapter that works with vmware fusion 2.0 on macbook OS X 10.5 I am unable to get the live cd of bt3-final running correctly so I figured my best bet is to get a usb dongle/adapter.

thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by bmfrei View Post
    Did you find and or can you list any usb dongles/adapters that work with vmware fusion?

Hello all,

I am currently looking for a usb dongle/adapter that works with vmware fusion 2.0 on macbook OS X 10.5 I am unable to get the live cd of bt3-final running correctly so I figured my best bet is to get a usb dongle/adapter.

thanks in advance.
    It's going to be the same adapter from the other ten thousand "which usb adapter" threads.

Just burned his ISO

I apologize for asking the same question that has been repeatedly asked. I was unable to find a definitive list until searching for awhile. List which is somewhat outdated helped some to find a adapter which requires a kernel patching. Patching tutorial didn't produce a good result and adapter does not work. My fault for choosing it.

For all those that happen onto this thread Belkin F5D7050 (4000 series) is not the way to go.

Somewhat outdated list:
    hxxp://backtrack.offensive-security.com/index.php/HCL:Wireless