Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can connect to internet through wireless, but iwconfig shows no such device

Just burned his ISO

Default Can connect to internet through wireless, but iwconfig shows no such device

Host
    HP Pavillion DV6704NR
    Host OS Win Vista
    Atheros AR5007 Wireless

VMware Workstation 6
    Guest OS Linux 2.6 kernel
    BT3

Opening internet, firefox in BT3 I can connect using wireless no problem.

bt ~ # iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions

eth0 no wireless extensions.

I have researched the AR5007 and using the built in wireless seems to be a no go with VMware, but why can it connect to the internet through my AP, but BT3 doesn't see it?

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo12 View Post
    Host
    HP Pavillion DV6704NR
    Host OS Win Vista
    Atheros AR5007 Wireless

VMware Workstation 6
    Guest OS Linux 2.6 kernel
    BT3

bt ~ # iwconfig

I have researched the AR5007 and using the built in wireless seems to be a no go with VMware, but why can it connect to the internet through my AP, but BT3 doesn't see it?

im no expert but to the best of my knowladge wireless devices are not suported in vmware. if your getting connected to the internet your doing it thru the host. my advice is to use g parted(it dosnt destroy the data already on your hd) and make a partition to install backtrack. if you dont want to mess around with your hd then just burn the cd and u will be able to get it working id the card is suported. hope i have been some help

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo12 View Post

bt ~ # iwconfig

You lost me there. I don't know how you connect using wireless if your wireless is down.
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]hehe...
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

And for that matter where is your wifi0/ath0? Even if they're "down" they should still show up as such. Try an ifconfig ath0 and/or ifconfig wifi0

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

The reason for that is that the wireless card is bridged as a wired card for Vmware.

You won't be able to use i.e. packet injection with BT running in a vm.

Your AP will see that Vista is connected since it is handling the wireless connection and just providing a bridged ethernet "card" which is not wireless to the guest operating system.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Ahhhh I gotcha. See, ya learn something new everyday

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowKill View Post
    Ahhhh I gotcha. See, ya learn something new everyday
    You're joking... right
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]hehe...
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by DEAGLE View Post
    im no expert but to the best of my knowladge wireless devices are not suported in vmware. if your getting connected to the internet your doing it thru the host. my advice is to use g parted(it dosnt destroy the data already on your hd) and make a partition to install backtrack. if you dont want to mess around with your hd then just burn the cd and u will be able to get it working id the card is suported. hope i have been some help

Thanks for tha advice, I'll have to do some research on g parted. I have already created a 4g partition for backtrack, I just decided on VMware so I wouldn't accidently mess up the MBR.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    The reason for that is that the wireless card is bridged as a wired card for Vmware.

You won't be able to use i.e. packet injection with BT running in a vm.

Your AP will see that Vista is connected since it is handling the wireless connection and just providing a bridged ethernet "card" which is not wireless to the guest operating system.

Thanks for the advice. I understand whats happening now, so loading the Live-cd on a separate partion using g parted should allow BT3 to handle that connection as the host?

The AR5007 at this time doesn't appear to be supported yet, I have researched conflicting reports on Madwifi drivers working. But the last I checked this card wasn't supported yet.

For iwconfig, you have to know that it will only show you the up interfacees. If the interface is down, you want see it.
    Try a ifconfig to see all the interfaces. And then try to perform a ifconfig WifiInterfaceName up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast