Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [linux newbie] Networking Issues

Quote Originally Posted by DEAGLE View Post
    if you dont know how to fix the the problem dont bother come to the *NEWBE* ares just to discourage people from learning somthing new
    Actually, quite often the answer is for someone to learn basic Linux using a more user-friendly distribution before diving into BackTrack, and that was the point of my post. I never discouraged anyone from learning something new. However, I have seen many people struggle a great deal when they are new to Linux and want to learn BackTrack right away.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Well, I'm a wireless tard, but did you tear it down and rebuild it first? That I believe is step 1 is it not.
    if you dont know how to fix the the problem dont bother come to the *NEWBE* ares just to discourage people from learning somthing new
    You're not really in a position to be demanding things sparky.
    <EeePc 1000HA BT4/W7 USB boot Alfa500 GPS BlueTooth>

im having the same problem but my card is not in monitor mode. i habve been trying to fix this for days, im using a hp pavillion dv6000 with a bcm 43xx(4311 to b exact). i know this card is not well supported but some can get injection working so i dont c y i cant even connect to my own ap i even taken encryption off. here is the commands i typed

bt ~ # ifconfig
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:00:6CA:6C:46
    inet addr:192.168.0.6 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:835 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:735 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:824824 (805.4 KiB) TX bytes:99817 (97.4 KiB)
    Interrupt:19

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:00:00:1A:73:63
    UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
    Interrupt:10 Base address:0x8000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

bt ~ # iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

eth1 IEEE 802.11b/g ESSIDff/any Nickname:"Broadcom 4311"
    Mode:Managed Frequency=2.437 GHz Access Point: Invalid
    Bit Rate=1 Mb/s Tx-Power=18 dBm
    RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    Encryption keyff
    Link Quality=0/100 Signal level=-256 dBm Noise level=-256 dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

bt ~ # iwconfig eth1 essid SKY50023
    bt ~ # iwconfig eth1 channel 11
    bt ~ # iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

eth1 IEEE 802.11b/g ESSID:"SKY50023" Nickname:"Broadcom 4311"
    Mode:Managed Frequency=2.472 GHz Access Point: Invalid
    Bit Rate=1 Mb/s Tx-Power=18 dBm
    RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    Encryption keyff
    Link Quality=0/100 Signal level=-256 dBm Noise level=-256 dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

i cant even use the wifi manager, it recognises my card, the speed and im trying to find SKY50023 but it cant find it
    Wow I must be the luckiest Broadcom owner ever I have 2 of them (4311 and 4318) and I have not had any problems with ether of them. looking at your commands the first thing you need to do is run
    Code:
    ifconfig eth1 up
    then configure your wireless card in the command line like lonewolf said the wifi managers suck dont use them. and a note to all newbies to linux learn the command line in fact I found the best way to learn it is to install a distro without a GUI and force your self to learn the shell.

Wow I must be the luckiest Broadcom owner ever I have 2 of them (4311 and 4318) and I have not had any problems with ether of them. looking at your commands the first thing you need to do is run
    Code:

ifconfig eth1 up

then configure your wireless card in the command line like lonewolf said the wifi managers suck dont use them. and a note to all newbies to linux learn the command line in fact I found the best way to learn it is to install a distro without a GUI and force your self to learn the shell.

i totaly agree with you i only tryed to use the wifi manager after i wasnt able to get the card working, thanks for the advice but eth1 is up. wen you type ifconfig it shows the devices that are up, if i could only c my loopback or the loop back and the wired connection then you need to bring it up
    Ubuntu/backtrack 3 - HP pavilion DV6000

Very good friend of the forum killadaninja's Avatar

time and time again i say put your card into master mode
    iwconfig adapter mode master after putting ur adapter up that is
    -ninja
    Sometimes I try to fit a 16-character string into an 8–byte space, on purpose.

Just burned his ISO

Ok, again I done everything in command line. I set the adapter "up" and put it to "master" mode, took it off monitor mode, set the correct essid, encryption key, etc and then used the command iwlist eth1 scan which returned:

eth1 interface doesnt support scanning : no such device

However, when I use iwconfig I can see clearly that adapter eth1 is up, on master mode and has all other settings set correctly.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Very good friend of the forum killadaninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by b345t View Post
    Ok, again I done everything in command line. I set the adapter "up" and put it to "master" mode, took it off monitor mode, set the correct essid, encryption key, etc and then used the command iwlist eth1 scan which returned:

eth1 interface doesnt support scanning : no such device

However, when I use iwconfig I can see clearly that adapter eth1 is up, on master mode and has all other settings set correctly.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

after setting it to master mode you should be able to use the wireless tool under backtrack internet
    not command line
    Sometimes I try to fit a 16-character string into an 8–byte space, on purpose.

it just dosnt work ive given up on my broadcom card my brother has the exact same card in a dv2000(mine is a dv6000) and his works but mine dosnt. the fact is that these are reverse engineered drivers so there far from perfect
    Ubuntu/backtrack 3 - HP pavilion DV6000

Developer

It just blows me away that people just wont buy a supported card. I mean $45 -$100 dollars is just not that much money. If you take into account all the time you spent trying to get your suck a** broadcom to work you probably could have raked the neighbors leaves or something for the cash and bought a alfa. I am far from rich however I did have the good sense to get a Alfa 500mw, A umbiqity src AND a netgear wg511t. Heres the best part, since purchasing these cards I have been able to use every tool in the bt arsenal and have not had any problems. I usually keep out of this stuff but with all the broadcom threads recently and other crappy cards I decide to interject my opinion. So what does all this mean? Get a job and buy a real card if you want to do wireless auditing. You can only polish a turd so much because it will always be a turd.

actualy ive deleted vista off my computer and im using backtrack and ubuntu on a dual boot. my ubuntu is working fine with ndiswrapper but as u must know you cant inject packets with ndiswrapper. people on this forum have reported getting this card working. and yea we know were gona have some problems thats y we are here, to learn. im shure you wasnt born with the knowladge of linux commands in your head. if you dont know how to fix the the problem dont bother come to the *NEWBE* ares just to discourage people from learning somthing new
    I don't think you want to learn something new, you want people to give you answers.
    If you read the forums. They say very often bt is not a beginner-distro.
    Maby if you learn just the most commend commando's for setting up a network under linux.
    Then you should know the commando's to turn your card on.

But for most people reading is VERY hard........

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast