Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Turned Windows Firewall off, now what?

Quote Originally Posted by abitaz View Post
    Oh, 'cause I was wondering about the legality of that site.
    Ok pureh@te, My bad.... but this wasn't warez, I would never post anything that would compromise this site or anyone

@ abitaz, this wasnt illegal, or warez, I think I'll keep my findings to myself from now on - merely trying to share the knowledge

Developer

samsung, I do not mean in anyway to put the clamp down on information sharing however that .pdf is illegal and we can not post illegal stuff here. The reason is because it is copyrighted and a company is expecting money from the sale of that book which will not happen if people illegally share the .pdf. I just call it warez as a generic illegal term.

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    samsung, I do not mean in anyway to put the clamp down on information sharing however that .pdf is illegal and we can not post illegal stuff here. The reason is because it is copyrighted and a company is expecting money from the sale of that book which will not happen if people illegally share the .pdf. I just call it warez as a generic illegal term.
    Ok, no probs fair comment. apologies for any inconvenience caused..

You may be right. I am from the U.S. where it definitely is quite illegal. Scotland may have different laws involving copyrights and such, and therefore, I apologize if I was incorrect. As I wrote, I was 'wondering' about the legality.

@ abitaz, this wasnt illegal, or warez, I think I'll keep my findings to myself from now on - merely trying to share the knowledge [/QUOTE]

pureh@te:
    Do you have version 1 or 2?
    I have version 1 sitting on my shelf which I've been meaning to read, but if there is alot of changes in the 2nd I may get the newer one....

hhmatt81:

I got a copy of the GreyHat as the same time as getting the "Penetration Tester's Open Source Toolkit 2nd", I really like it.
    The Grey Hat one is better at getting you in the right mindset and how a Pen-Testing test works where PTOST is move about {but not limited to} how to use the program that come with BT.

This is my newest read. I never picked it up before because the title is so lame however my mom orders tons of sTuff from amazon and gets all this free stuff so she called me and asked if there were any books I needed. What a perfect chance to get some of these expensive books. Anyway this is probably the best book of buffer/stack overflows I've read to date. I'm only half through it however I HIGHLY recommend it. It is a little advanced though, not a n00b read.

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

Wow, I didn't notice this thread for a while and some interesting things happened.

I realized that the gray hat hacking book had a edition 2 recently after I posted but I figured I would let it ride and see what others might have to say about it. It seems like a decent book and now I wonder if edition 2 is completely revamped and updated or if its simply an extension of version1.

I also recently came across the book Hacking The Art of Exploitation 2nd edition.

http://www.amazon.com/Hacking-Art-Ex...8038900&sr=8-1

I hope its as good as the first version.

Just ordered this today! This is just the book I've been looking for to dive deeper into fuzzing and exploitation.

http://www.amazon.com/Fuzzing-Brute-...8039336&sr=1-1

I recently got copies of: Gray Hat Hacking & Penetration Tester's Open Source Toolkit. Both 2nd editions, from what I understand gray hat has updated content & several new sections over the first edition. I'm only 3-4 chapters in but so far, I'm very impressed with it. As previously mentioned, gray hat seems to be a solid starting point. Then moving on to reading through the Pen tester's toolkit. From what I've seen quickly scanning through them & from other reviews. They are both worth having in one's pen-test library IMO. I was looking at " Hacking: The Art of Exploitation 2nd edition" too. I heard it's excellent as well. I'll be getting through the current books first, before adding more to the need-to-read pile

Developer

Hacking: The Art of Exploitation 2nd edition

Have finished this book. So far this is the most comprehensive hands on book I have read so far. Easy to follow along exercises and it comes with a live cd containing all the source code for the exercises. If you want a great book on vulnerability finding, buffer overflows,shell code and various other things this is the book for you. However it is not for the faint of heart. You MUST have a fairly good grasp of linux in order to preform and more importantly , understand whats going on. I would consider this a intermediate level book.

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

Hacking: The Art of Exploitation 2nd edition

Have finished this book. So far this is the most comprehensive hands on book I have read so far. Easy to follow along exercises and it comes with a live cd containing all the source code for the exercises. If you want a great book on vulnerability finding, buffer overflows,shell code and various other things this is the book for you. However it is not for the faint of heart. You MUST have a fairly good grasp of linux in order to preform and more importantly , understand whats going on. I would consider this a intermediate level book.
    This is going to be what I read after my fuzzing book gets here. I think I'll read edition 1 then 2 to see the progression and hopefully pick up on a few things that might've been left out/overlooked from either version.

Thanks for the advise PH.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123