Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Destroyed my MBR, please help

Just burned his ISO

Exclamation Destroyed my MBR, please help

Hi guys,

Now I'm fairly savvy when it comes to all things Micro$oft, but I've recently been playing around with BT3 for something new.

I originally ran BT3b from a LiveCD, but then decided I'd like to be able to use it with configuration changes. I downloaded the USB "version" of BT3b, put it on a 4GB USB stick which I then made bootable.

I successfully ran BT3b and all was as before when running from the LiveCD, albeit much faster. Now, my laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1720 which has the Intel 4965AGN wireless mini-card in it. I've been doing a lot of research to try and get the blasted packet injection working.

I've had less than 15 posts, so I've replaced "tt" with "xx". I visited the website located at hxxp://intellinuxwireless.org/?p=iwlwifi and followed the instructions to install the "mac80211 subsystem", the "4965 microcode" and the "iwlwifi drivers".

The directions for installing mac80211 are located at hxxp://intellinuxwireless.org/tar.php?p=mac80211&f=README&a=mac80211-10.0.4.tgz . At the "make install" step I was asked about the Windows boot partition etc, and ASSUMED it was referring to the jump drive I was booting from, so let the system modify the MBR.

Since then, I have not been able to boot into my Windows Vista Home Premium partition, nor my recovery partition as it's corrupt. I am greeted by:

L 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07" covering my screen.

I know my HDD data is fine as I've tried to recover it from my Windows Vista Home Premium CD, but am unable to actually repair the MBR. All I can gather is that the reference to the MBR making a Windows system unbootable actually referred to my HDD, not the jump drive.

Am I correct in identifying the MBR as my problem and how do I go about correcting my newbie mistake?

I'm so thankful there's a community of giving folks like yourselves to help complete idiots like me! I can't believe I made such an amateur mistake.

Sorry for the huge post,
    Nick

I don't know why you did that, because as far as I know BT3b has those drivers.

Just burned his ISO

.lonewolf, BT3b doesn't support injection using 4965AGN chipset. There's a lot of people hanging for that functionality. I wanted to make sure everything I had was up-to-date. The driver release dates are 2008; BT3b was released December 2007.

Search the forums for "4965" and you'll see.

Thanks for reading though.

Yes, the MBR is fried. The "L 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07" is a LILO failure. LILO has overwritten the MBR, but is failing for some reason.

I've used this on every OS from Microsoft, from DOS to XP. However, I don't use Vista, so use the following instructions at your own risk.

1) Boot to the Recovery mode of your install CD.
    2) At the command line type "fdisk /mbr" (without quotes, of course.)

That's it, you're done. This command doesn't fdisk the whole disk, just the MBR. It's also real quick.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/69013
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255867/
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Well... it's a pleasure. Maybe you should consider getting a fully supported card.
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]hehe...
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

I know this isn't a Windows support forum, but I feel sorry for the guy.

Boot with the Vista DVD, select "Repair,"

There should be an option that says something about fix boot.
    Try that first. But I remember 2 years ago it failed for me and didn't reinstall the MBR. So if that doesn't work:

Boot with the Vista DVD, select "Repair,"

and then select "Command Prompt."

Type in bootrec.exe and press ENTER.

You will receive some options to repair the boot.

Type in bootrec/fixboot and press ENTER.

Then type in bootrec/fixmbr and press ENTER.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks Thorn. I've already tried that, but it looks like Vista had a different MBR to all previous versions of Windows. I can't locate fdisk anywhere

I'll keep hunting for a solution. All my Googling has turned up problems with LILO when people have actually been installing to a HDD, given as far as I know I haven't done so, I'm in a slightly different predicament.

.lonewolf - why the hostility mate? Maybe I should consider waiting for a stable driver capable of packet injection? Others have shown it works but is temperamental. I am happy to wait. I am only tinkering with BT at the moment, and it's the tinkering that's got me into trouble. Relax.

Just burned his ISO

Deathray, you sir are a legend! I didn't see the bootrec.exe file and have now performed the actions. Thank you so much!

I'm back in business.

No hostility, just asked a question and gave some friendly advice.

lol, just because I'm growling, doesn't mean I'm going to bite you.

What have you been smoking?
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]hehe...
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

You're welcome. It's good to know that it doesn't work, but there is a Vista alternative.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast