Thread: Network connection problems!

Just burned his ISO

Default Network connection problems!

I am trying to figure out why I am having trouble connecting Back Track 3 to a couple different networks. One network is at my school when I enter the WEP key it still tells me that the connection has failed. Under windows I connect to it just fine. I can connect with BT3 to my network at the house which has WEP enabled. Is this a problem with the configuration of the network card with Linux? The other place that I am having issues with is at a coffee shop that uses a router with pre-installed software that redirects you to a login page that you have to log into first. With windows I notice it doesn't give me a connect signal until I enter my User name and Password. Though with BT3 I cannot connect even to the log in page.

Where do I begin to look to find answers to these questions?

Developer

Try connecting via the command line. That wireless assistant thing sucks.

Just burned his ISO

As Purehate said the KiwifiManager or whatever the tool is called, is possibly the worst tool ever .

Use iwconfig to configure your device.
    Code:
    iwconfig --help

example : iwconfig rausb0 enc yourwepkeyhere

It also helps to know what network card you are using. I have found that out of the 3 laptops I have (no their not nice ones ) only 1 of the built in wifi cards seems to work "out of the box". (I havn't tested injection on that laptop but it can connect to a WEP network)

Keep us updated

I had the same issue with my AP. Sometimes I have to connect 2-3 times in order to really get a connection.

Not sure why exactly but I've noticed the same behaviour. Also had the same when using WPA. On my laptop it connects with one try usually, on my desktop machine it takes 2 tries.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Quote Originally Posted by lumberJack View Post
    Where do I begin to look to find answers to these questions?
    In the newbie area. You need to learn the basic commands like ifconfig, iwconfig etc. before even attempting to connect to an AP.
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]hehe...
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]