Thread: Boot BT3 USB with Grub

Default Boot BT3 USB with Grub

Here was my problem the bios on my laptop does not allow me to boot from the usb and so this is what I did to get it working for me. First of all I am running Suse 10.3 natively on my laptop and this will work with any linux distro running grub as for lilo and windows boot managers I don't know I don't use ether of them.

First open a shell and with your favorite editor open vim /boot/grub/menu.lst or nano /boot/grub/grub.conf depending on your distro and add this to the bottom of the file.

Code:
    title BackTrack 3 USB
        root (hd1,0)
        makeactive
        chainloader +1

and thats it just reboot and you now have a new option in grub menu select the backtrack option and you will be taken to the lilo boot menu where you can select how you want to boot backtrack.

Just burned his ISO

I tried that on my PCG-SRX99 as its bios doesnt support booting from usb. I think I'm not giving the right disk as if I try to boot with that entry it will say "selected disk does not exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfire View Post
    I tried that on my PCG-SRX99 as its bios doesnt support booting from usb. I think I'm not giving the right disk as if I try to boot with that entry it will say "selected disk does not exist"
    What did you call it because grub starts numbering at 0 not 1 so your first hard drive and first partition are hd0,0 if it was the second partition it would be hd0,1 now if it is another drive like a usb it would be hd1,0.

Just burned his ISO

I think (can't remember of the top of my head) that I partitioned my 20GB drive into three bits, 1 for root, 1 for home, and 1 swap.

I used exactly the same paramaters as in your first post. ie root (hd1,0)