Thread: WiFi Sniffing?

Question WiFi Sniffing?

Iv never done any Wireless Sniffing on my B network, my teacher was urgeing me todate to take a look at my traffic and see if I could pull any piece of information out of it (On my network for the fun of it). He said its really good skill for network auditing.

Iv still haven't played with very many tools on BT at the moment, im just working with them 1 at a time. I was trying to get Wireshark to sniff my network but my teacher said thats not a very good tool for wireless. He said look up AirSnort or AirCrack....

I thought those were just for cracking, not for sniffing traffic?

Can anyone recommend something that I could look into for Wireless Sniffing using BT2?

And ill let you guys know how it goes...

Quote Originally Posted by >Dart> View Post
    Iv never done any Wireless Sniffing on my B network, my teacher was urgeing me todate to take a look at my traffic and see if I could pull any piece of information out of it (On my network for the fun of it). He said its really good skill for network auditing.

Iv still haven't played with very many tools on BT at the moment, im just working with them 1 at a time. I was trying to get Wireshark to sniff my network but my teacher said thats not a very good tool for wireless. He said look up AirSnort or AirCrack....

I thought those were just for cracking, not for sniffing traffic?

Can anyone recommend something that I could look into for Wireless Sniffing using BT2?

And ill let you guys know how it goes...
    Use the menu...it'll guide you to everything you want to know.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

OK, thanks, thats what I was planing, The 802.11 section...I think....

(Sorry for double posting but....[Insert good excuse here...])

Umm...I looked at almost every tool in the 80211 catigory and have come to the conclusion that 99% of those tools seem to be geared twords breaking WEP and WPA and working with connecting to roughters. Im looking for something more like what Wireshark does, brings up a list of TCP/IP and UDP packets. A few of those tools, Air* show that they are getting packets, but it doesent say where, from who or what it contains...My teacher showed my Drfitnet and that does a very nice job of picking up TCP/IP trafic in the form of .jpgs and .gifs. Could you do that same thing, but with more data? I think that would be usefull for scanning my network.

Obviously you have not made the effort to research the tools. Tcpdump and / or airodump will output traffic to file. I suggest that you summon you're greatest Google'Fu and research those tools.
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by >Dart> View Post
    Im looking for something more like what Wireshark does, brings up a list of TCP/IP and UDP packets. .
    Is there a reason you are not using wireshark?

also why not use the man pages and or the help flag when using one of these commands/tools?
    for instance
    Code:
    #tcpdump --help
    or
    Code:
    #man tcpdump
    or
    google.com
    etc. etc. etc.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

ettercap anyone?!

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Yes i agree this post was a little hasty, I normally use my Google'Fu pretty hard before i post anything (im not not a big fan of spoonfeeding, (its a pride issue I think?)) This thread was just giving a overview of what I was going to embark on, Just takeing suggestions (sometimes speeds things up a bit) But now that I have some suggestions im going to get a good nights sleep. I have some Oracle homework in the morning, then some VB I am VERY stuck on....then ill take at a shot at BT. (I might be able to even do fire up the Wireless in the lab if im lucky?)

Untill then...out!

Ok I have a update.

Airodump, Ethercap, Wireshark and Tcpdump all have something in common...they only sniff traffic on the network your connected to. I loaded tcpdump with out being connected and it complained that I had no IP for example..Seems that way with the rest.

Driftnet can sniff .jpgs and .gifs without being connected to the network, shouldent I be able to do this for other data aswell?

I test this by loading BT2 on my laptop with my wifi card, set my rougher to a wired computer and the internet and use my Wifi PDA to surf the data hoping my laptop will pick it up on the way to the internet on the roughter....

Any one know of anything else I could try?