Thread: Wiress using ath0 instead of wifi0?

Just burned his ISO

Default Wiress using ath0 instead of wifi0?

Hi, im currently running BT3 on an Acer Aspire 7003WSMI and all working ok, the wireless even works, however it connects using ath0 not wifi0 and im not sure why or if i need to change something, i also discoverd this when trying to use airodump.

In airodump i had two, wifi0 - atheros and ath0 atheros (parent wifi0).

Can anyone help?

Quote Originally Posted by zuric View Post
    Hi, im currently running BT3 on an Acer Aspire 7003WSMI and all working ok, the wireless even works, however it connects using ath0 not wifi0 and im not sure why or if i need to change something, i also discoverd this when trying to use airodump.

In airodump i had two, wifi0 - atheros and ath0 atheros (parent wifi0).

Can anyone help?
    Why do you want to change something that works?
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

ATH0 is a VAP created by the madwifi driver for the wifi0.

It is completly normal.

Without it you won't be able to use the wifi0.

Kismet i.e. creates it as kis0 and so on instead of ath0 and removes it after the use.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Default ath0 vap?

hey dave, i was under the impression that ath0 is the hardware name and wifi0 was the vap, because when you call it under ifconfig you call to ath0 and that inturn creates wifi0 under the madwifi driver protocol(ath_hal version not this new "hal-less version of hotness they have going on) anyways correct me if i'm wrong
    open source = open minds, human knowledge belongs to the world

Quote Originally Posted by crweedon View Post
    hey dave, i was under the impression that ath0 is the hardware name and wifi0 was the vap, because when you call it under ifconfig you call to ath0 and that inturn creates wifi0 under the madwifi driver protocol(ath_hal version not this new "hal-less version of hotness they have going on) anyways correct me if i'm wrong
    You're wrong. My box has wifi0 through wifi3 for the four wifi cards. The madwifi drivers create athX virtual devices for each of them. Kismet creates kisX devices for each of them.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69