Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Social Engineering Questions

Just burned his ISO

Default Social Engineering Questions

I'm new to the forums and I have a question to ask that really doesn't fit in the newbie section, but I understand my reason for being here.

I'm a student studying computer security and I'm really interested in the field of Social Engineering in regards to computers. I'm done Google searches and generally dug around the internet, and can't really dig up much information on the subject other than what it is and some fun stories that pertain to its usage.

The main things I'm interested in is what kind of certifications/degrees are required to be considered a social engineer, and how would one go about getting such degrees and certifications.

After reading around I know the forums tend to be more on the technical aspect of computer security, but I figured I might as well shoot in the dark and see if I can get lucky.

Any help, or just general talk about the subject would be greatly appreciated.

-Monsieur Dozier

Social Engineering [SE from now on] is an everyday technique used by people who may not even use a computer. SE within the hacking community got more attention drawn to it when Kevin Mitnick was arrested and I think you should read a few of his books. He also had a few films made about him, one was bullshit from Miramax that could have damaged Kevin and he may have never got out;the other was made by the 2600 crew...a true documentary of the events.

Johnny Long is also a good social engineer, very good indeed. You should seriously watch his DefCon called No-Tech Hacking. It's a very interesting and funny conference, seriously watch it.

SE has no limit, you could buy a Bell or British Telecom linesman uniform on eBay or design one. Then buy or design one of those engineering tents with red and white stripes. After that you could pose as an employee, work on the street/roads, then after that you go to jail . Joking aside, if you have a good imagination you can do anything with good social engineering skills. I would like to type a lot more, but its getting late.

Quote Originally Posted by monsieurdozier View Post
    The main things I'm interested in is what kind of certifications/degrees are required to be considered a social engineer, and how would one go about getting such degrees and certifications.
    Are you serious?
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Quote Originally Posted by theprez98 View Post
    Are you serious?
    Did you mean to say clueless instead of serious?

Quote Originally Posted by DaKahuna View Post
    Did you mean to say clueless instead of serious?
    Yeah, that too.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Just burned his ISO

ok I dont think there is any "certifications/degrees" in that field (i googled it)
    but SE is a way of minipulating people to conform the way you want them
    while making them think that "this is a good thing". (good for who????).
    Good or Bad that all depends on the beholder. I personly beleave that minipulating people in ANY way is wrong. exe... love,money,passcodes,goverment..........
    Doesnt mater it's lieing to people. Your just making them feel good about it.

"It's ok billy, you just jump off that bridge and I promise you will be very happy you did."

But thats just my opinion

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Here ya go I found this it might work as a degree or whatever.
    Your friends will be amazed.
    Your Certificate

To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Is it even possible to create a certification program for SE? If you have a quick tongue and a sharp mind you get quite far. You should
    probably follow The_Denv's hints, Kevin Mitnick is one of the more known Social Engineers, and I'd recon you can gain a lot by reading
    his books. If your REALLY interested in learning SE, you could read up on Psychology. There are millions of books on the subject, I'm sure
    theres one out there that meets your need. You could start off with this one: amazon.co.uk/Psychology-Science-Behaviour-Hodder-Publication/dp/0340900989/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206439491&sr=1-2

Social Engineering is not a degree - it's just a skill, and a useful one at that. Especially when in a legal situation of pentesting for a company, and you get to manipulate the employees with permission :P Just do some reading around, you'll find some stuff. And The_Denv, I remember that No-Tech Hacking talk. Quite amusing

-Stephen

Has to be a joke
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]hehe...
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast