Thread: Connected to my wireless but...........

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Connected to my wireless but...........

Hi,

Ok, I managed to change the mac on all of my computers and gained access to my home ap (which has mac filtering enabled) but............

I can only connect, if it is a computer on the mac filter list. In other words, I can change my laptops mac to the mac address of my desktop and gain access to the net, but I cannot gain access if I do the same routine from say a work laptop (which I often bring home with me) - Incidently, all macs were as they should be on all of the computers. I have tried various different wireless chipsets (centrino, atheros, cisco), and nothing works.

Please don't tell me to research the forum, or google, or this or that - I have done nothing but read, read, read, and read again, and I've lost track of how many videos I've watched - I've done nothing but search the forum and google. This has me baffled though - I can't gain access to my ap out with any computer, other than what is allowed on my mac filter list.

The router I am using is a Netgear WGT264 V3. I know this is an over-sight on my part, but I really honestly have been studying very hard here.

It's been quite a learning curve using various wireless cards, and I've learned alot, but I am out of ideas.

Could someone please have a heart and help?

Thanks in advance,
    Phreax
    -----------------------------------------------------
    "Microsoft Works" - It's not just a program - It's an Oxymoron too.

Quote Originally Posted by Phreax View Post
    Hi,

Ok, I managed to change the mac on all of my computers and gained access to my home ap (which has mac filtering enabled) but............

I can only connect, if it is a computer on the mac filter list. In other words, I can change my laptops mac to the mac address of my desktop and gain access to the net, but I cannot gain access if I do the same routine from say a work laptop (which I often bring home with me) - Incidently, all macs were as they should be on all of the computers. I have tried various different wireless chipsets (centrino, atheros, cisco), and nothing works.

Please don't tell me to research the forum, or google, or this or that - I have done nothing but read, read, read, and read again, and I've lost track of how many videos I've watched - I've done nothing but search the forum and google. This has me baffled though - I can't gain access to my ap out with any computer, other than what is allowed on my mac filter list.

The router I am using is a Netgear WGT264 V3. I know this is an over-sight on my part, but I really honestly have been studying very hard here.

It's been quite a learning curve using various wireless cards, and I've learned alot, but I am out of ideas.

Could someone please have a heart and help?

Thanks in advance,
    hi, I'll try help

when you say but I cannot gain access if I do the same routine from say a work laptop (which I often bring home with me) - Incidently, all macs were as they should be on all of the computers. I have tried various different wireless chipsets (centrino, atheros, cisco), and nothing works.

Can you post your results here so we can see any errors or any info just incase it's something minor where your going wrong?

Are you saying you cannot connect if you have mac filtering enabled? or.... you can only connect to a system that 'is in your filter list' but when this mac has been faked you can connect??

Again, it's easier for us all to see if you just copy & paste your session here & I'm sure if not me, someone else will be able to assist

Just burned his ISO

Hi Samsung,

Thank you for your reply!

The wireless assistant utility doesn't give me any option for diagnosis, just an option to check settings.

What I did was simply change my mac address to a different mac address already connected to my ap, then I went into wireless assistant, and connected giving the appropriate wep key. It works with computers already on mac filter list (4 computers in total - desktop for each my wife and I, and a laptop for each my wife and I). I am able to access the net (with mac filtering enabled, and mac addresses changed to a mac address already in mac filter list).

I can't access the net using any other computer - even with same wireless chipset as the home computers. This is what has me stumped. If it works for these 4 computers and I can change the mac on each one and still access the net, why won't it work for a completely different computer thats not on my mac filter list?

Thanks again for your time and help Samsung!
    Phreax

Just burned his ISO

If you don't mind, I'd like to explain a few things.

I'm not new to linux, but I am new to this type of security analysis. For the past 2-3 weeks, I've done nothing but read, research, listen and learn. I have used airecrack (although with no success I admit), but I don't know in complete detail what I am doing, or why I am typing certain things, and I don't completely understand why I am doing things in such a specific order as they need to be done in.

My reasoning for using the wireless assistant was for initial simplicity. Using various wireless cards was a learning curve, drivers for some were an issue I've gathered. The wireless assistant appears to do the same thing in order to connect to an ap, and simply saved me some typing (although I have not studied the source code). It was a way for me to take things step by step - Then I can deduce from there, what needs to be done, and what order it needs to be done in. It is NOT to cut corners in a definate measure by any means (One of the reasons I love Slack is for the command line interface).

I am at the point though, where I honestly believe I have hit a digital myopia. I realize (and understand), that questions are repeated constantly with little research, but I really have been studying hard, and I am not looking for an easy way out.

I've read so many threads where things come very easy to people, but perhaps I am not at that point yet where things will come easy.

I honestly view Remote-Exploite as a Utopia, in that what you take from this society, you give back - so there is always a perfect balance - You give back what you take - and I will.

I am open to PM's (hint hint lol), constructive or destructive critisism - I will learn from both. I promise I won't be a pain in the ass - I prefer to research 1st to be honest (at least I give it an effort ). A point in the right direction, or any ideas or thoughts, would be very helpful though.

I could really use someones help.

Thanks folks for taking the time to read this,
    Phreax

Quote Originally Posted by Phreax View Post
    If you don't mind, I'd like to explain a few things.

I'm not new to linux, but I am new to this type of security analysis. For the past 2-3 weeks, I've done nothing but read, research, listen and learn. I have used airecrack (although with no success I admit), but I don't know in complete detail what I am doing, or why I am typing certain things, and I don't completely understand why I am doing things in such a specific order as they need to be done in.

My reasoning for using the wireless assistant was for initial simplicity. Using various wireless cards was a learning curve, drivers for some were an issue I've gathered. The wireless assistant appears to do the same thing in order to connect to an ap, and simply saved me some typing (although I have not studied the source code). It was a way for me to take things step by step - Then I can deduce from there, what needs to be done, and what order it needs to be done in. It is NOT to cut corners in a definate measure by any means (One of the reasons I love Slack is for the command line interface).

I am at the point though, where I honestly believe I have hit a digital myopia. I realize (and understand), that questions are repeated constantly with little research, but I really have been studying hard, and I am not looking for an easy way out.

I've read so many threads where things come very easy to people, but perhaps I am not at that point yet where things will come easy.

I honestly view Remote-Exploite as a Utopia, in that what you take from this society, you give back - so there is always a perfect balance - You give back what you take - and I will.

I am open to PM's (hint hint lol), constructive or destructive critisism - I will learn from both. I promise I won't be a pain in the ass - I prefer to research 1st to be honest (at least I give it an effort ). A point in the right direction, or any ideas or thoughts, would be very helpful though.

I could really use someones help.

Thanks folks for taking the time to read this,
    Ok, we can all help & will help, but still didnt answer my 1st post >>> here "Can you post your results here so we can see any errors or any info just incase it's something minor where your going wrong?"
    lol

We / I need to see what happens, ie errors, or what exactly it is your typing?

take for example if I want to fake my mac I simply type

airmon-ng stop ath0
    ifconfig wifi0 down
    macchanger --mac 00:11:22:33:44:55 wifi0
    airmon-ng start wifi0

& this sholud work

why would you want to fake the MACs if you're connecting to your own network? Wouldn't it be easier in the long run to just leave them default, take off MAC filtering since it's pretty much worthless, and just get a really good WPA/2 key?

Just my thoughts.

Also, are you assigning each NIC a different MAC address? You can't have two of the same MAC addresses on a network.
    A+, Network+, Security+, and CCNA Certified

Just burned his ISO

Hi Samsung, Ivanho,

I tried out a few things before posting back. I used my own laptop (centrino chipset and device falls under eth1), and my work laptop which is a Fujitsu Amilo Pro V2055 (incidently, according to the specs I've read online, it uses centrino chipset for the wireless, but my device falls under ath0).

On my own laptop, I type......

ifconfig eth1 down
    macchanger --mac (I change it to my desktop mac which is turned off).
    ifconfig eth1 up
    iwconfig eth1 essid (my essid) key (my key)
    dhcp eth1

The above works fine and I'm on the net - no problems

On my work laptop I type.....

ifconfig ath0 down
    macchanger --mac (I change it to my laptop mac which is turned off or configured with a different mac).
    ifconfig ath0 up
    iwconfig ath0 essid (my essid) key (my key)
    dhcp ath0

This worked earlier today with mac filtering disabled. With mac filtering enabled though, the computer just hangs for a bit, I get my prompt back, no connection to the net, and no fault description whatsoever. If I try and connect via wireless assistant, I just get "connection failed" no fault description or anything.

why would you want to fake the MACs if you're connecting to your own network?
    I consider this a great learning curve - I love computer security, and I really want to learn as much as I can. I currently know very little about this sort of thing right now though, so I want to take little steps and learn what I'm doing and why I am doing it.

It's impossible to have a secure system, if you don't know how the idiots are breaking in to begin with. Eventually I want to build a server and implement all that I've learned. I would feel much better then knowing how to make systems more secure.

Wouldn't it be easier in the long run to just leave them default, take off MAC filtering since it's pretty much worthless, and just get a really good WPA/2 key?
    WPA will be done soon here, and I will feel much more comfortable when it is completed. You are probably right about leaving macs default and disabling mac filtering as it is worthless. If i did that though, I would skip out on a great learning curve, and I don't want to miss any learning.

Thanks again for all of your time and help folks
    Phreax