Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AWUS036H cable

Just burned his ISO

Question AWUS036H cable

I just got my awus036h today and noticed you have to plug it into 2 usb connectors on the pc.
    I was telling a friend to get one, but he uses a usb to ethernet to usb extender on his present usb wifi device because the pc is about 60 feet from where his antenna has to be.I was wondering how important it is to plug into 2 usb ports.I always thought usb ports were good for 250ma.
    I don't want him to cook his extender.I was using extra usb cable myself on my setup,but only about 16feet of extension.

Quote Originally Posted by dismas View Post
    I just got my awus036h today and noticed you have to plug it into 2 usb connectors on the pc.
    I was telling a friend to get one, but he uses a usb to ethernet to usb extender on his present usb wifi device because the pc is about 60 feet from where his antenna has to be.I was wondering how important it is to plug into 2 usb ports.I always thought usb ports were good for 250ma.
    I don't want him to cook his extender.I was using extra usb cable myself on my setup,but only about 16feet of extension.
    You'll ONLY need to plug them both in if you have USB 1.0 (older PC's)

If you / he has USB 2.0, then only 1 plug is needed. The 2.0 usb supports up to 5 volts (I think) which is more than enough for the Alfa 500mW.

BTW..the SHORTER your cable is..the better your signal will be. The longer it is...the more attenuation you'll receive. For cat 5 cable its 100 foot I believe. For usb cable I have NO clue.

Anybody know the attenuation drop off point of USB cabling off the top of their heads??
    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=5][B][COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]--=[/COLOR][/FONT]Xploitz[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]=--[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Black][SIZE=6][B] ®[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][B]Remote-Exploit.orgs Master Tutorialist.[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=6][B]™
    [/B][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9063"][B]VIDEO: Volume #1 "E-Z No Client WEP Cracking Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7872"][B]VIDEO: Volume #2 "E-Z No Client Korek Chopchop Attack Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8230"][B]VIDEO: Volume #3 "E-Z WPA/WPA2 Cracking Tutorial"[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8041"][B]VIDEO: Volume #4 "E-Z Cracking WPA/WPA2 With Airolib-ng Databases"[/B][/URL]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by -=Xploitz=- View Post
    You'll ONLY need to plug them both in if you have USB 1.0 (older PC's)

If you / he has USB 2.0, then only 1 plug is needed. The 2.0 usb supports up to 5 volts (I think) which is more than enough for the Alfa 500mW.

BTW..the SHORTER your cable is..the better your signal will be. The longer it is...the more attenuation you'll receive. For cat 5 cable its 100 foot I believe. For usb cable I have NO clue.

Anybody know the attenuation drop off point of USB cabling off the top of their heads??
    is it 5m? I think so not sure lol I think I read something like this while studying A+

always thought it was 2m sicne most ext leads are 1.8m ? (mine have been anyways)

Quote Originally Posted by samsung View Post
    is it 5m? I think so not sure lol I think I read something like this while studying A+
    And you appear to be correct. I Googled up USB attenuation and came up with this.>>>

Quote Originally Posted by off the net somewhere

The USB 1.0 Spec contains a cable length limit of 5 meters, a cable delay spec of 30ns and a supply voltage minimum at any USB socket of 4.4 volts.
    Chapter 7 of the spec covers the electrical specifications of the USB signals and limits all cables of any length to 30ns prop delay. Since cable varies from 3 to 6 ns per meter prop delay the maximum cable length can be calculated to be 5 meters.

This is still true for USB2.0. Though most cheaper peripherals would not work at this length due to the timing issues. You can get A-A Active Extension cables that help slightly, but would only really get you to 5m.

If you need to go beyond 5m (WHY???), then the only practical solution is to employ the use of a separately powered USB hub in the middle of 2 5m cables (but expect the occasional problem due to both noise and attenuation at that distance).

***EDIT***

More on USB cabling (than you probably wanted to know.)

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhere in Googleland

What is the maximum length for a USB cable?
    The maximum length for a USB cable is 5 meters (197 inches). The power transferred through a USB cable that is greater than 5 meters in length will start to decrease, and the device may not function properly.

How fast is USB?
    The maximum data transfer rate for USB 1.1 is 12Mbps (12,000,000 million bits per second).
    The maximum data transfer rate for USB 2.0 is 480Mbps (480,000,000 million bits per second).

Will my USB 1.1 tablet work with my new computer using USB 2.0?
    Yes, USB 2.0 is backward compatible with USB 1.1.

Can my USB tablet be plugged into a hub?
    Yes, as long as the hub uses an external power supply. We do not recommend or support this configuration. Before requesting help from Technical Support, please try connecting the device directly to the computer's USB port.

What is Enumeration?
    Enumeration happens when a Plug-N-Play device is plugged in or is unplugged. This signals Windows to load or unload a driver for the corresponding device. If a driver has not been loaded or can’t be found, Windows will ask for the driver.

How much power does the USB bus supply?
    The USB bus supplies 0.5 watts minimum and 2.5 watts maximum of power per peripheral. A total of 60 watts maximum power per USB bus.

How many USB devices can be connected at the same time on one USB bus?
    The USB specification calls out a total of 127 devices per bus.
    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=5][B][COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]--=[/COLOR][/FONT]Xploitz[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]=--[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Black][SIZE=6][B] ®[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][B]Remote-Exploit.orgs Master Tutorialist.[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=6][B]™
    [/B][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9063"][B]VIDEO: Volume #1 "E-Z No Client WEP Cracking Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7872"][B]VIDEO: Volume #2 "E-Z No Client Korek Chopchop Attack Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8230"][B]VIDEO: Volume #3 "E-Z WPA/WPA2 Cracking Tutorial"[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8041"][B]VIDEO: Volume #4 "E-Z Cracking WPA/WPA2 With Airolib-ng Databases"[/B][/URL]
    [/CENTER]

5m with a special cable with a built in signal booster or something that makes it A-A Active and different form all the rest.

My friend had one, was shite, caused him problems recognising devices ect..

Can my USB tablet be plugged into a hub?
    Yes, as long as the hub uses an external power supply. We do not recommend or support this configuration. Before requesting help from Technical Support, please try connecting the device directly to the computer's USB port.
    That's funny, considering USB is specifically designed to be hubbed or daisy-chained!
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

And you appear to be correct. I Googled up USB attenuation and came up with this.>>>
    I had a feeling i was lol I didnt think i'd ever need to know WHY tho, but it shows you that studying usless questions (well majority of them in the A+) will come in useful

Just burned his ISO

Post cat6

For his usb to ethernet to usb converter he had to use cat6,cat5 was useless.
    I have usb2 but his converter is usb1 only.The converter gooses the 5v
    to 15v for the long ethernet run,then the receiver knocks it down to 5v
    again, so the only restriction hopefully is usb1 speed vs usb2.

penguin_to_bits

The 2.0 usb supports up to 5 volts (I think) which is more than enough for the Alfa 500mW.
    The USB port is designed to apply a constant DC voltage of 5 volts (give or take a quarter of a volt). As with any power supply, they should specify either a maximum current flow or a maximum power consumption. In the case of power supplies that apply a constant voltage (such as is the case with USB), they tend to specify a current limit rather than a power limit (but either can be calculated from the other if you know the voltage). I did some Googling and found the max current flow for a USB 2.0 port to be 500 milliamperes. With a supply voltage of 5 volts, this equates to a max power consumption of 2.5 watts (i.e. Power = Voltage x Current).

But then again I've heard some crap about there being some ports that only allow 100 milliamperes???

The Alfa has a transmittal power of 500 milliwatts but I haven't been able to find any info on its total power consumption. If the Alfa has only one power mode, i.e. if it doesn't adjust its impedance depending on whether it's got one or two ports to supply it, then you'll know if you've enough power because modern computers will give you a warning saying "USB port has exceeded its maximum current limit", (which usually only happens with dodgy equipment that causes a short circuit, and I've seen it on both Windows and Linux).

Without going into the mathematics or even electrical theory of it, just run up airodump somewhere that there's a bizzillion access points. Using two ports for power, connect to a relatively weak AP and try retrieve google.ie. Then take out the secondary power plug and try Google again. (If you can't retrieve Google, and if you don't get a current-exceed limit warning, then it means the Alfa must have two power modes... either that or your USB port or OS isn't up to scratch).

If anyone has a machine was a USB 1.0 port, it'd be interesting to hear whether they get a current-exceed warning when they plug the Alfa into a single port.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast