Thread: Boot disks...

penguin_to_bits

Default Boot disks...

I'm looking for boot disks that are ideal for the following:

1) A boot disk that can run a Samba or FTP daemon for retrieving data off a machine that won't boot. (Obviously I'd need networking functionality, need to be able to access ext3 and ntfs, and also a samba or FTP daemon). Would Backtrack be much use for this? I used a Ubuntu LiveCD before for doing this but unforunately you have to install samba stuff via an internet connection before you can run a samba server.

2) A boot disk for testing hardware. I have a laptop here that took a bang. The symptoms indicate that the hard disk is damaged, but it'd be great if I had a boot disk that would test RAM, hard disk, CPU for malfunctions. Anyone know any good ones? (Ones that aren't out-dated, specifically).

Quote Originally Posted by penguin_to_bits View Post

1) A boot disk that can run a Samba or FTP daemon for retrieving data off a machine that won't boot. (Obviously I'd need networking functionality, need to be able to access ext3 and ntfs, and also a samba or FTP daemon). Would Backtrack be much use for this? I used a Ubuntu LiveCD before for doing this but unforunately you have to install samba stuff via an internet connection before you can run a samba server.

2) A boot disk for testing hardware. I have a laptop here that took a bang. The symptoms indicate that the hard disk is damaged, but it'd be great if I had a boot disk that would test RAM, hard disk, CPU for malfunctions. Anyone know any good ones? (Ones that aren't out-dated, specifically).
    Try this thread for your answer:
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9096
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]hehe...
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

What about:
    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
    Hope that helps
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by penguin_to_bits View Post

I personally like SYSTEM RESCUE CD it is gentoo based and has a lot of great tools.

If it data recovery have a look at this BootCD:

http://clonezilla.sourceforge.net/gparted-clonezilla/

It will backup a raw copy on a partition or full drive onto a Server via SMB,FTP,SSH,etc

HIRENS_BOOT_CD_v9_3

check that out

penguin_to_bits

My brain suddenly started working in the last minute or so...

What I want to do is boot off a CD that will allow me to copy files to another machine via a cross-over cable.

I was thinking the best way to do this would be for the bootable CD to have either a samba server daemon or an FTP daemon, and the the other machine could simply do "\\192.168.1.5\" and copy the data over.

But just a second ago I realised that I don't need the damaged computer to have a Samba server... all I need is a Samba client on the damaged PC. The rescue PC can have the Samba server, and the damaged PC can connect to the rescue PC's Samba server to copy data across to it.

I'm just wondering though, would one of the ways be quicker than the other? (And even if one way is quicker (i.e. client copying files to server, or server copying files to client), I wonder if the difference will be negligible because of other bottlenecks such as hard-disk access speeds... ?)

penguin_to_bits

Quote Originally Posted by merlin051 View Post
    HIRENS_BOOT_CD_v9_3

check that out
    Thanks, I've had this CD for a while but I'm looking for more of a Linux LiveCD that comes with stuff like Samba configured by default.

Also I'm still looking for a boot CD that will check for hardware faults.