Thread: I've lost my BackTrack kmenu structure

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default I've lost my BackTrack kmenu structure

Hi, I've been running BT3 as a hard disk install for a couple of months, with a few little issues that I won't go into, but mostly pretty good.

recently I installed MinGW and some time after that I noticed that my kmenu had changed from the normal backtrack structure to another more generic structure with an entry for wine under which was MinGW and nothing else.

I did some googling and searched the forum but I didn't really know what I was looking for. (never played with the menus before) I found a suggestion on another forum to delete the .kde directory under root this of course made it worse, then I found a thread in here talking about .config/menus I did some playing around with that the stuff in applications-kmenuedit.menu seems to be all the right things in the right structure... but I'm at a bit of a loss now as to how to get it read...

any advice would be appreciated

The easy way to solve this problem would be to
    copy the appropriate config files for KDE menu from a live BT3,
    over to your hard disk install. Sorry I can't inform you as to
    where these files are, as I have no idea myself :b .
    But I'm sure it's possible.

Good luck
    - Poul Wittig

Just burned his ISO

Yeah... that's what I figured , but I' struggling to work out which ones they are...

I've done the whole /root/.kde directory and parts of /opt/kde/ but no joy...

Just burned his ISO

well, in case anyone else has the same problem and stumbles across this thread
    I discovered a bunch of stuff about KDE menus and this site was very helpful

h t t p ://people.fruitsalad.org/phil/kde/userguide-tng/kde-menu.html (sorry for the formatting the n00b isn't allowed to post URL's)

but ultimately
    in /etc/xdg/menus there was a file called applications.menu which wasn't in the live cd
    I renamed this to applications.menu.bkp

and my menus were all good

YAY