Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stripping BT2

Just burned his ISO

Default Stripping BT2

I was trying to find a list of all the software included in BT2, and I found this:
    Code:
    backtrack.offensive-security. com/ index.php/Tools
    I don't know how accurate the list is, but I did notice that BT2 had many, many programs on it.

I was thinking about taking out some of the ones that aren't really used. I'm not sure if all of them were put in because each of them are the best programs for their specific purpose or if a bunch of programs within a certain field were put in because of some peoples' tastes, but if the latter is true then I'd like to try and shave off the ones that will never be used so I can try and fit this on something smaller than a 700 MB CD.

Of course this is a very long list to go through because I don't know what each program does 100% except the more popular ones like nmap or something, but has anyone ever done this before?

Quote Originally Posted by letterhope View Post
    I'd like to try and shave off the ones that will never be used...

I don't know what each program does...
    If you don't know what a program does, how do you know that you'll never use it?
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by theprez98 View Post
    If you don't know what a program does, how do you know that you'll never use it?
    Oh, I meant after I research them, if there happens to be extraneous programs; which is why I'm not sure yet if there are so many because they are optional or they are all substantial

Quote Originally Posted by letterhope View Post
    Oh, I meant after I research them, if there happens to be extraneous programs; which is why I'm not sure yet if there are so many because they are optional or they are all important
    How much space are you looking to save?
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by theprez98 View Post
    How much space are you looking to save?
    I was thinking as simple as possible, so there isn't so much clutter and trying to recall which program to use for which test.

Do you know if each one has its own specific purpose that the others in its category don't have? If that's the case, then I might as well just leave BT2 as it is and enjoy the wide variety of tools. I'm not complaining at all, I just like to keep things incredibly simple by nature so if I need to do something, I can just immediately refer to one thing that generally does the job and use that all the time. I guess it's somewhat related to preference?

It seems like your jumping to this a lil too soon. I think you should research each tool before you even set a goal of 700MB? And it seems like your new to BackTrack, don't rip up the whole CD thinking that some of the software is "useless", you'd be surprised and I bet you'll learn to enjoy every program in its own unique way!

Quote Originally Posted by >Dart> View Post
    It seems like your jumping to this a lil too soon. I think you should research each tool before you even set a goal of 700MB? And it seems like your new to BackTrack, don't rip up the whole CD thinking that some of the software is "useless", you'd be surprised and I bet you'll learn to enjoy every program in its own unique way!
    I agree with Dart plus you never know what kind of dependency hell you be getting into

Just burned his ISO

Before I found Backtrack, I had my own collection of pentesting tools, each categorized under the stages of pentesting for more organization (footprint, portscan, fingerprint, vuln sploit, erasing tracks, and each of these subcategorized furthur (networking, wireless, web, etc.)), and of course I had multiple programs in each field since a lot of the time not one program did everything. I thought I might edit the source codes of the ones I favored, but then there was the problem of intense time consumption reading over the code, making errors, and I'm not fluent in every single language these programs were written in. When I found Backtrack, I was pretty much ecstatic that was such an OS out there for this kind of job, but I've been wondering if it's necessary to learn every single program included since there are so many. Which lead me to the question at the beginning of this thread

If you really want to have a "custom" organized system, you could try to "rearrange" the "Start Menu" to fit your category system???

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by >Dart> View Post
    If you really want to have a "custom" organized system, you could try to "rearrange" the "Start Menu" to fit your category system???
    Sorry, I don't really understand what this means

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast