Thread: Backtrack3 VMware

Thumbs up Backtrack3 VMware

Hello guys,

I'm new to the forum as you can tell by my post count, but i've been pretty active reading posts.

I have a question.

How many of you run BT on vmware (I'm running windows xp pro service pack 3) and do you like how it works? Pros or Cons? Would it be better to dual boot instead of vmware?

I had time in the morning to run bt on vmware on my desktop. The net wasn't working but didn't have much time to fiddle (I'm sure i'll get it to work when I come home today). It seemed very nice and smooth. Never had a chance to see if it's glitchy. I'll let you guys know.

EDIT: Had time to get on today and work on BT to get the net work. (writing this in bt as i type.)

hi & weclome nokuku4u,

Considering that most people want to use Wlan technologies on BT3,
    in my opinion the best way to use it, is the BT3 Usb Version with perm. changes.
    Under VM there is no way to get Wlan working unless u use an USB-Wlan-Stick
    To improve performance it is also recommended to use a Hdd install or Live Cd/Stick.

just my 2 cent,
    <terminal86>

Unhappy

Oh no! I was planning to order a laptop soon (Lenovo's T400). You're saying wlan won't work under vmware!?!?

Any advantage over BT USB than BT being installed by cd?
    I'll end up Tri-booting if vmware doesn't work with wlan from factory settings. I don't plan on buying a usb wlan stick anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by nokuku4u View Post
    Oh no! I was planning to order a laptop soon (Lenovo's T400). You're saying wlan won't work under vmware!?!?

Any advantage over BT USB than BT being installed by cd?
    I'll end up Tri-booting if vmware doesn't work with wlan from factory settings. I don't plan on buying a usb wlan stick anytime soon.
    No virtualization software will be able to utilize wireless cards other than USB connectable ones. The most significant difference between the live-CD and a live-USB installation is that the latter will run much faster and be more responsive.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

I just started running BT3 in VMware I don't have internet or really care about internet, however I do want to be in my intranet. I haven't got it working in bridged mode yet, but Ihaven't really looked to figure it out either. I was kinda hoping to get it going on my own.