Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: WiFi VPN

Hotspot Shield was in my PC Magazine last month...here is the link

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2266914,00.asp

It's under security. I've never used it before, so I don't know if it's worth it or not.
    A+, Network+, Security+, and CCNA Certified

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ivanho View Post
    Hotspot Shield was in my PC Magazine last month...here is the link

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2266914,00.asp

It's under security. I've never used it before, so I don't know if it's worth it or not.
    PC Magazine didn't say much about it.
    CNET gave it 2.5/5 stars.

Is it just me or does anyone else find this funny? Quoted right off of the website for hotspot shield.

This impenetrable tunnel prevents snoopers and hackers
    Impenetrable?

Where does this vpn to anyways, fort knox?

Just burned his ISO

Default Free isn't free

I've found hotspot shield aka anchorfree isn't worth the free price. If they are giving you something for free you can bet they are getting more from you in return. Between their bandwidth limits, advertising and probable mining of your data as it passes through for marketing and whatever purposes why would anyone use it. Besides they shut you down if you use too much bandwidth.

Setting up openvpn at home has it's own faults. Yea you got a bullet proof connection to your computer but then your ISP has access to everything you do going to the net. If you are on cable or some other polled service your neighbors also have access to your data. Not exactly secure.

There is no vpn service that is completely trustworthy. After all someone always has access to parts of your data and with enough determination and resources it's all open. The question isn't can you make yourself 100% secure. The question is who's going to give you the best bang for you buck. Realizing in advance that nothing, even if you do it yourself, is 100%. I've been using Surfbouncer for the past few weeks and my impression is that it works well and that they are cool folks. I've gotten email responses from them to questions at 11pm.

Quote Originally Posted by stran717 View Post
    I've found hotspot shield aka anchorfree isn't worth the free price. If they are giving you something for free you can bet they are getting more from you in return. Between their bandwidth limits, advertising and probable mining of your data as it passes through for marketing and whatever purposes why would anyone use it. Besides they shut you down if you use too much bandwidth.

Setting up openvpn at home has it's own faults. Yea you got a bullet proof connection to your computer but then your ISP has access to everything you do going to the net. If you are on cable or some other polled service your neighbors also have access to your data. Not exactly secure.

There is no vpn service that is completely trustworthy. After all someone always has access to parts of your data and with enough determination and resources it's all open. The question isn't can you make yourself 100% secure. The question is who's going to give you the best bang for you buck. Realizing in advance that nothing, even if you do it yourself, is 100%. I've been using Surfbouncer for the past few weeks and my impression is that it works well and that they are cool folks. I've gotten email responses from them to questions at 11pm.

We never said your data will be 100% secure. I'd "trust" my data to my isp who's job is to give hundreds of thousands of people internet access, over one company who maybe gives a few thousand "secure" internet access. Besides why would I want to pay for something that I already have sitting at home?? May as well use the equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by hhmatt81 View Post
    PC Magazine didn't say much about it.
    CNET gave it 2.5/5 stars.
    Is it just me or does anyone else find this funny? Quoted right off of the website for hotspot shield.
    Impenetrable?
    Where does this vpn to anyways, fort knox?
    You ever notice the larger an ad someone has the more stars they get?
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Sorry,i was lil bit buzy all these days,finally come back.Ok, now why am i asking for the stuff like hotspot bcs in UAE,lol,half of the sites are blocked and i used to surf it thru hotspot.Which i am not able to now.So....any other hotspot look alike.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    I'd trust it less than a regular hotspot. At least with a regular hotspot, you can monitor the packets the same as anyone else, and your paranoia can be on a moderate level. With this, you're essentially VPN'ing all your traffic to a third party that you don't know, who's saying "trust us." For all you know, it could be a front for Russian gangsters or (even worse) the IRS.
    I read a story on how some scammer forum or something or other was shut down because of using a vpn. Essentially the "big dogs" or whatever, the guys doing all the bad stuff and working with each other, were set up by one of them and the fbi set up a "secure" VPN to record all data that was sent between these certain members who were invited to the "secure" vpn.

you are right ,but here i am really suffering from getting all sites blocked everyday.There must be some way out

Quote Originally Posted by ibrahim52 View Post
    you are right ,but here i am really suffering from getting all sites blocked everyday.There must be some way out
    Planes are the fastest way. At least it was for me.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    We never said your data will be 100% secure. I'd "trust" my data to my isp who's job is to give hundreds of thousands of people internet access, over one company who maybe gives a few thousand "secure" internet access. Besides why would I want to pay for something that I already have sitting at home?? May as well use the equipment.

?
    How about the guy down the street who's packet sniffing your cable modem ring? How about the guy from across town who compromises your faulty ADSL modem? The point is not that your ISP is the main problem. The point is that your home network is just as easily hacked as the remote network you are on. So you provide yourself with a false sense of security doing what you suggest. From what I read and have confirmed using it the vpn provider I referenced has their servers hosted at Amazon. Using your logic, I'd trust my unencrypted traffic coming out of Amazon's internal network, with millions of transactions flowing through it a day, to be free from hackers more than my local cable modem or DSL connection.

nice said.Thanks.Could i have the source to download it?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast