Thread: What is the best way to test a Laptops Hardware is working?

Just burned his ISO

Smile What is the best way to test a Laptops Hardware is working?

Hi all,

I am testing BT2 and BT3beta on a Sony Vaio VGN-T2XP/S with the Intel graphics chip. I know that this is not in the list of working hardware. I have managed to get the OS up and running from the Hard Drive. It connects for my WIFI with WPA and WireShark can capture packets.

I am very new to Securaty but I am learning. I just don’t want to think that something is working when actualy it isn’t. So is there a way for me to test the laptop to make sure it is working properly. Like if I do “ABC” and “XYZ“ happens then I can be confident that most other things will work fine.
    Or will I have to go throught and test every application before I can report this laptop as working hardware and what I had to do to get it to work.

Thanks
    ink

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iank_ View Post
    Hi all,

I am testing BT2 and BT3beta on a Sony Vaio VGN-T2XP/S with the Intel graphics chip. I know that this is not in the list of working hardware. I have managed to get the OS up and running from the Hard Drive. It connects for my WIFI with WPA and WireShark can capture packets.

I am very new to Securaty but I am learning. I just don’t want to think that something is working when actualy it isn’t. So is there a way for me to test the laptop to make sure it is working properly. Like if I do “ABC” and “XYZ“ happens then I can be confident that most other things will work fine.
    Or will I have to go throught and test every application before I can report this laptop as working hardware and what I had to do to get it to work.

Thanks
    ink
    Generally what is "needed" or wanted is some info about the computer itself if the os boots up and if the wireless card works. This is the core of the distro itself. whether wireshark or whatever else works is secondary. It is good if it all wrorks but again most important is that it boots and if wireless works/injects. This well let the Dev's know where the distro stands amongst the different hardware platforms
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Smile

Thanks for getting back to me.

What tools do I use to test the wireless works/injects? Is there a way to setup a test environment for this test?

Ink

Just burned his ISO

Smile

thanks for responding.

what is the best way to make sure that i can inject into wireless?

Can i do this on my home network?

thnaks,
    ink

thanks for responding.

thnaks,
    ink
    You can test your card with airplay just search the forum you may also want to watch some of the vids by Xploits also check out the aircrack-ng site.

thanks for responding.

thnaks,
    ink
    Well since doing this on some one else's network would be illegal, I'd say, yes, you should do this on your own network.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

thanks for responding.
    thnaks,
    ink
    Try this link here:
    http://aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=injection_test
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.