Thread: Making a usb BT persistant.

Just burned his ISO

Default Making a usb BT persistant.

Quick question... is there any way to make a usb version of backtrack persistent and save the changes i make to it? I just got my eeepc, moved bt on to a SD card to try it out and i really like it.

I have no problem with changing the bios boot order on startup to get into it, as i usually use xandros beacuse of its fast boot up time.

is there any way to convert a usb install into a real one? or should i burn the dvd, boot from it, and then install BT onto my sd?

Developer

If you would have utilized the search function you may have found this. I'm really not sure why I bother to write this stuff and go to the trouble of giving it a clear sensible title that would come right up as the first hit in a search.

Just burned his ISO

Actully, my question was if i could turn a SD install into a regular one, or if there was a way to make a file to save the changes - but if installing from usb is what i have to do i'll do it.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Developer

The tutorial IS how to make your sd card save changes. I just use a usb install to do it. Maybe you should have read it.

is there any way to convert a usb install into a real one? NO not on usb or sdcard.

Just burned his ISO

I did. I just figured that there might of been another way. Chill.

Quote Originally Posted by Coniferous View Post
    I did. I just figured that there might of been another way. Chill.
    If you can't find it here and on Google then there probably isn't another way.

Can you see yourself telling a Mod to "chill"?
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]hehe...
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Just burned his ISO

i tried with a friend to make a real install of bt3 on a EEEPC but i have a strange kernel panic ...

VFS: cannot open root device 801 or unknow block (8,1)
    please append a correct "root=" boot option
    kernel panic - not syncing
    VFS unable to mount root fs on unknown block (8,1)

the real OS is on a SD 4GB ...

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by alexcami View Post
    i tried with a friend to make a real install of bt3 on a EEEPC but i have a strange kernel panic ...

VFS: cannot open root device 801 or unknow block (8,1)
    please append a correct "root=" boot option
    kernel panic - not syncing
    VFS unable to mount root fs on unknown block (8,1)

the real OS is on a SD 4GB ...
    Im having the exact same issue here. Forgive me if I missed the fix but Ive searched high and low all over google and these forums and the only conclusion I can come to is that that some driver is missing from the kernel. I have BT3 installed to a 30gb ATA6 drive thats connected via a USB converter. Its been a few days since I messed with it but I believe it has:

6gb-e3
    2gb-swap
    5 or so gb-e3
    10gb-fat32.

The fat is only on it so I can continue to use it as a utility disc for when I need to transfer crap between computers. Please, help us resolve this issue. Its been driving me nuts for days.