Alright guys, yes I am a newbie to linux, but I really want to learn the stuff, so please bear with me here, I am trying to find clear, understandable answers. I know that may not be entirely possible without a basic understanding of linux, so let me inform you that I have a ton of books and anything else related to linux for reference purposes. I have also been dabbling in Linux live CD's for about eight months now, So I kind of understand some things, and if you have an answer that will work, I will be able to figure it out and apply it..

Anyway, enough digressing. I installed a multi boot system on my laptop this weekend which consists of three XP systems, and Back|Track 2. Everything works flawlessly, except for the fact that I have no mouse in Back|Track 2. I have searched the net and applied what I have learned through that. I learned that settings can be adjusted in xorg.conf, and that the [drivers?] are found in /dev, and in /dev/input. I have tried many different settings, and none of these work at all.

I also learned of a way to identify peripherals plugged into USB ports, at least I think that's what it does.

entering the command: lsusb, and pressing enter, I get the following info printed out:

bus 2 device 3: id 0d62:0530 darfon electronics corp.

I'm sure you understand that this is only the line that contained info, I ommitted all other lines. I believe that this points to my mouse, which is a miniature Gigaware portable laser mouse that I purchased at Radio Shack.

So, after failing in the autosetep with typing xorgconfig outside of x, and also typing xorgsetup, I have made my way to /etc/x11/, and manually adjusted the settings to add an additional input device, and point it to /dev/mouse, /dev/input/mice, /dev/input/mouse0, and so on with all the different options available. I still could not get it to work.

Now, short of purchasing a new mouse, is there any other way to get this to work?

One other thing that may or may not be helpful, My laptop is a Dell Vostro 1000, and is basically stock except for extra ram.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I hope someone could be helpful and point me in the right direction.