Thread: Can't get my USB wireless mouse to work

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Can't get my USB wireless mouse to work

Alright guys, yes I am a newbie to linux, but I really want to learn the stuff, so please bear with me here, I am trying to find clear, understandable answers. I know that may not be entirely possible without a basic understanding of linux, so let me inform you that I have a ton of books and anything else related to linux for reference purposes. I have also been dabbling in Linux live CD's for about eight months now, So I kind of understand some things, and if you have an answer that will work, I will be able to figure it out and apply it..

Anyway, enough digressing. I installed a multi boot system on my laptop this weekend which consists of three XP systems, and Back|Track 2. Everything works flawlessly, except for the fact that I have no mouse in Back|Track 2. I have searched the net and applied what I have learned through that. I learned that settings can be adjusted in xorg.conf, and that the [drivers?] are found in /dev, and in /dev/input. I have tried many different settings, and none of these work at all.

I also learned of a way to identify peripherals plugged into USB ports, at least I think that's what it does.

entering the command: lsusb, and pressing enter, I get the following info printed out:

bus 2 device 3: id 0d62:0530 darfon electronics corp.

I'm sure you understand that this is only the line that contained info, I ommitted all other lines. I believe that this points to my mouse, which is a miniature Gigaware portable laser mouse that I purchased at Radio Shack.

So, after failing in the autosetep with typing xorgconfig outside of x, and also typing xorgsetup, I have made my way to /etc/x11/, and manually adjusted the settings to add an additional input device, and point it to /dev/mouse, /dev/input/mice, /dev/input/mouse0, and so on with all the different options available. I still could not get it to work.

Now, short of purchasing a new mouse, is there any other way to get this to work?

One other thing that may or may not be helpful, My laptop is a Dell Vostro 1000, and is basically stock except for extra ram.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I hope someone could be helpful and point me in the right direction.

Developer

you can give this command a go....

pureh@te~#modprobe psmouse

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    pureh@te~#modprobe psmouse
    I believe I have already tried that, but maybe it was #modprobe usbmouse? Don't know if there is such a command. I will give it another try though. Thank you for the reply, pureh@te. I appreciate it.

Just burned his ISO

if u used it with vmware the problem would go away..
    VMware has usb support built in

Quote Originally Posted by NoCover View Post
    if u used it with vmware the problem would go away..
    VMware has usb support built in
    So does backtrack, and most every other linux distro.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

O.K., I have entered in the code you gave me. I tried it both inside and outside of X, and it seems to have made some progress, but not very much. In X, I get the mouse to work, but it is very, very slow, and kind of jerky. If I type it in outside of X, then run startx, it works just fine, that is until the start up music plays. then I get nothing.

Any other possibilities?

off the top of my head it sounds like an IRQ conflict with the soundcard, I'm not sure howto fix it though
    Wrong place
    Wrong time
    Wrong woman

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by MrWrong View Post
    off the top of my head it sounds like an IRQ conflict with the soundcard, I'm not sure howto fix it though
    Thank you for the suggestion, MrWrong. I will check into that. I am not very fluent in Linux, but I do know how to read, and I also know how to use google. That might give me some leads on a fix. I suppose I could also check out some of the linux books I have lying around too. But I have been pretty busy working on my other systems as of late.

Again, thank you for the suggestion, I will definitely look into it.