Thread: How to install backtrack in VMware with VMware tools and first steps

Developer

Default How to install backtrack in VMware with VMware tools and first steps

Thumbs up Re: How to install backtrack in VMware with VMware tools and first steps

Great tutorial in here..found the 'Getting up and running with backtrack – First steps' section helpful..

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: How to install backtrack in VMware with VMware tools and first steps

Thank you very much, great tutorial!

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: How to install backtrack in VMware with VMware tools and first steps

I also used it, thank you =D

Just burned his ISO

Well done, sir.
    I was stuck at mounting the virtual disk from /dev/cdrom (i could only see cdrom3, but there was nothing in it....) through terminal.

Your tutorial got me unstuck, and happily using the tools now.

Thank you.

thanks for the guide vmware is much better than risking losing all your data with an hd install gotta love those snap-shots
    HP DV7
    8GB DDR3
    Core i7-720QM
    Nvidia GeForce GT 320M

BT5-64bit x WIN7-64bit DualBoot

Just burned his ISO

The only downside to installing BT4 within a VM (whether it is VMWare, VirualtBox, or Parallels) is that you don't get direct access to the video card and thus if you wanted to take advantage of CUDA, if you have compatible Nvidia GPU's, you will be out of luck. If I am wrong let me know, but I think a VGA adapter is used by the various VM's to provide graphics capabilities to the Guest OS.

I use BT4 in VMware Fusion and it works great for pretty much everything else. Installing BT4 in Bootcamp may allow you access to an Nvidia GPU and CUDA, but from what I have read in various posts on these boards wireless drivers are non-existent.